Current Reading

Started by Gopher, Apr 16 06 11:15

Previous topic - Next topic
|

weird al

A lady I knew worked for a dentist, a Dr. Loader. Which wouldn't have been particularly funny, except for his habit of  washing down Valium with alcohol, which often necessitated his taking a  cab home in the middle of the work day. He's long retired by now.  

Gopher

From Potter's Field - Patricia Cornwell
A fool's paradise is better than none.

kitten

The Fourth Bear - Jasper Fforde
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Gopher

kitten

Gopher

Strange how names that are spelled with a double 'f' always seem posh, isn't it?  

kitten

Is a double f stressed more when being pronounced?  I agree about it sounding more posh.  I always wondered why the letter would be duplicated.

Gopher

In Welsh ff is pronounced as (our) f, whereas a single f is pronounced as a v - so maybe that's where it comes from. Ffascinating!

kitten

Ffor sure!  Thanks for the information.  I thought it might be Welsh.

Sportsdude

I've got a double letter in my last name. Funny thing is that people never pronounce the other letter after it.
I've also got an "e" in my name that my german grandmother says it like an "a" so I end up saying it and confusing people even more. lol

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Gopher

Point Of Origin - Patricia Cornwell

Lil Me

Resistance- Daniel Kalla  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Gopher

Notes On A Scandal - Zoe Heller

Sportsdude

Suburban Nation: The Rise of Sprawl and the Decline of the American Dream by Andres Duany, Elizabeth Plater-Zyberk and Jeff Speck

Its an urban planning book critical of american sprawl

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Gopher

Striptease - Georges Simenon. (By the way, Notes on a Scandal was excellent, well worth the reading).

|