In the home stretch...

Started by TehBorken, Sep 02 11 09:23

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

This probably isn't very interesting to anyone, but USCIS has given us  the green light for the "final 90", meaning that in 90 days we can apply  for Sakha to take the US Citizenship test and become a full-fledged,  tax-paying United States citizen. In early December we can send in the  "N-400" paperwork, a 3-inch high stack.

As soon as she has her  biometrics done (again), does the naturalization interview and passes  the citizenship test she'll be a US citizen. Then we apply for a US  passport for her, and we're *done*.  

She'll be changing her name  at that time, taking my last name and using my first name for her (new)  middle name. She jokes that her family was too poor to afford a middle  name when she was born, so she's going to steal, err, I mean "borrow"  mine.

The citizenship test is hard...I never would have passed it. If you want to see what the test is like you can see it here:

[a href="http://discoverseattle.net/citizenship/"]US Citizenship Test (with answers)[/a]

In the N-400 application she has to swear, among other things, that between "March 23, 1933 and May 8th, 1945" she did not "work in any way (directly or indirectly) with:

- The Nazi government of Germany,

-  Any German, Nazi, or S.S. Military unit, paramilitary unit,  self-defense unit, vigilante unit, citizen unit, police unit, government  agency or office, extermination camp, concentration camp, prisoner of  war camp, prison, labor camp, or transit camp"

So I guess we have to hide her Waffen SS uniform and make sure she doesn't wear her Hitler Youth Knife to the interview, lol.    

(She  wasn't even born until 1978, so any problems related to affiliating  with Nazis shouldn't be a problem. I explained to her a little bit about  who Hitler was and what the Nazis were...she knows they were like Pol  Pot and that's enough for her. She knows a lot about Pol Pot.  )    
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

purelife

That's awesome news, Teh Borken!  Good luck and all the best for you and Sakha.  :)

Russ

Great news TB.. I was wondering how things worked out for you.

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims