How to Block Images for those tired of filth

Started by Orik, May 14 10 11:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Orik

If you are sick & tired of seeing all the Forum adds or perhaps you  are sick of seeing the disturbing, the often disgusting  & sometimes  completely foul photos, that some troll posters are adding to the  forums. Well if that is you, You may wish to install [a href="http://adblockplus.org/en/" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow external"]Ad Block Plus[/a]. It also has a few other options to it. I thought it was worth a bit of a read up on it, or you can watch the video.

By using the [a href="http://adblockplus.org/en/" class="bbc_url" title="External link" rel="nofollow external"]ad block plus[/a] add on, I no  longer see the disgusting photos on the various site forums I frequent and if any one is familiar to the photos showing Goatse or Tubgirl, well then you know there are lots of sick posters out in the world posting sick stuff.

Thankfully there is ways to block it.

With a simple right click of the mouse on top of the offensive photo or  add space with in the Firefox browser, I have 9 available options on my  pop up properties window. The options are:

View Image
 Copy Image
 Copy Image Location
 Save image as
 Send Image
 Set as Desktop Background
 [span style="color: rgb(191, 0, 95);"]Block Images From[/span] *whatever website you are on*
 View Image Info *This will open Firefox's media box providing a bit more  info on the site & Images*
 [span style="color: rgb(0, 191, 96);"]AdBlock Plus:[/span] Block Image. *which opens the Filter & exception  window*

[span style="color: rgb(191, 0, 95);"] By Selecting Option 7 [/span]
 I can chose to block the image with in the Firefox browser I can block  an individual photo or all images from the site I am on.

[span style="color: rgb(96, 191, 0);"]By Selecting Option 9 [/span]
 I can block the photo via Ad Block Plus or perhaps you want to go a bit  more in-depth with ad block plus you can also block the entire photo  host site it is just a simple addition of adding the host site url onto  the Filter's block list.
Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

DDD

RDL has played hell over there..........will be trying this out Orik
God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!

Natasha

I simply went to my Settings and unclicked the option to view pics on the threads. I'll leave it that way til all the mess is cleaned up.  

DDD

Do not look below !!!!!!!!!  

[img id=karmaImage onclick=captured(); border=0 name=karmaImage src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/pig_r.gif" width=68 height=72][img id=karmaImage onclick=captured(); border=0 name=karmaImage src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/pig_r.gif" width=68 height=72][img id=karmaImage onclick=captured(); border=0 name=karmaImage src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/pig_r.gif" width=68 height=72][img id=karmaImage onclick=captured(); border=0 name=karmaImage src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/pig_r.gif" width=68 height=72][img id=karmaImage onclick=captured(); border=0 name=karmaImage src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/pig_r.gif" width=68 height=72][img id=karmaImage onclick=captured(); border=0 name=karmaImage src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/pig_r.gif" width=68 height=72]  pigs are every where and you know how dirty they are      
God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!

Natasha

How dare you post that nastiness?  You should be banned!  

Orik

Well Natasha that is another option available. I do not use IE my self except to get updates. Lots of pigs around these days. Have to do what is necessary to remove hem.  
Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

Natasha

I'm not computer savvy at all Orik. So I need the easiest options available.  

Orik

TehBorken

Unfortunately, your solution also causes problems for legitimate webmasters (like me) who depend on the little bit of money that ads generate. Money that helps pay for the cost of running sites that you get to use for free (like this one).

So, in the end, thank you for helping to make things a little harder and more expensive for me. Thank you for making it more and more difficult to run sites like this.

Just to be clear, this site isn't run for profit. There's no way in the world that the ads would ever cover the cost of the server it runs on ($1620 per year, plus bandwidth costs), but a few dollars in ad revenue every month...well, it helps. Not much, but it helps.

So, thanks for helping take away the little bit of help I get paying for the DS site and the server. I really really appreciate all the hard work you do here.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Orik

I don't know about others choices or what they do. It was never my intention. I just know many surfers go to other forums that tend to be more wild and less well modded so they have a need of a decent tool to block photos or ads automatically. I myself chose to do so selectively and not every one is savvy enough to use IE or Firefox on how to block site images or maybe they do not want to disable all images from a site but chose image by image.  

That still does not block some adds they do not want to see. there is a prolific number of add on programs that do this.  People can chose which programs they want to use, I myself like this specific program for the control I have on everything One of the nice features of this program is that you can disable it on ones favorite sites.

It is not a problem to disable it  and to allow ads for Discover Seattle if people so chose to. I have clicked a few adds on your site, not all the time, just every now and then and that does not include the times I Miss the Pig...Nothing wrong with clicking to help support the sites you like.

Sorry for making it harder for you to raise revenue that was never my intention.

TehBorken

I understand what you're saying, and personally I've wrestled with this myself. I would never try and tell anyone what they can or can't do in their browser, or block people who use AdBlock (yes, it's possible).

I think people should be free to do what they want in their browser. At the same time I also understand that if everyone used AdBlock there would be a lot of people who wouldn't be able to keep running their sites. I mostly run DS just for fun, and I started it as an alternative to another site that was overrun with grossly racist jokes, idiotic raunchy crap, and infantile hate for people who were black or Asian or jewish, or who might just want to be good-natured and friendly.

DS is an expense that I'm willing and able to cover.  I'm also appreciative of the few dollars a month it earns to help offset the cost of hosting the site.

Orik wrote:
I don't know about others choices or what they do. It was never my intention. I just know many surfers go to other forums that tend to be more wild and less well modded so they have a need of a decent tool to block photos or ads automatically. I myself chose to do so selectively and not every one is savvy enough to use IE or Firefox on how to block site images or maybe they do not want to disable all images from a site but chose image by image.  

That still does not block some adds they do not want to see. there is a prolific number of add on programs that do this.  People can chose which programs they want to use, I myself like this specific program for the control I have on everything One of the nice features of this program is that you can disable it on ones favorite sites.

It is not a problem to disable it  and to allow ads for Discover Seattle if people so chose to. I have clicked a few adds on your site, not all the time, just every now and then and that does not include the times I Miss the Pig...Nothing wrong with clicking to help support the sites you like.

Sorry for making it harder for you to raise revenue that was never my intention.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Orik

As one of those people[span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"],[/span] sick of sites[span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"], [/span]that are just like you mentioned[span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"].[/span] I thank you for starting this site. [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]The[/span] best thing I [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]ever [/span]did was to come here. Discover Seattle is a welcome relief, [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]from some of the crap I found on other sites. It is so nice[/span] to actually find[span style="background-color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"] [/span]nice people[span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"],[/span] who [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]post fun & friendly topics,[/span] unlike some of those other forums. [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]You know the ones I mean! the kind [/span]where the posters show little or no respect to anyone, [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]or to anything. They are also the ones who are particularly unfriendly, or maybe I should say vindictive to anyone [/span]that is not a part of their clique.

[span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]What[/span] I do find sad, is that it is often so quiet on here. [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]Discover Seattle could use some more posters about 1000 more if you ask me.[/span] [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]While I do find it a bit sad that it is so quiet on here. I must also say that I find that quiet [/span]kind of nice[span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"].[/span] [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]Be[/span]cause while it is [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]quiet it also[/span] feels a bit [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]like[/span] a family setting. [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]Coming to post on Discover Seattle [/span]is like going to a fine 5 star restaurant.

The best part of DS is [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]that[/span] there [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]are [/span]no giant piles of B.S going on. [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]In here there are[/span] no power tripping mods, no mods [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]handle jacking[/span] posters [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]and there are[/span] no threads mysteriously[span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"] vanishing because they are[/span] being deleted because of a [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]few inappropriate posts[/span]. [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]On Discover Seattle there is no racism[/span], no fascism, no race baiting & best of all no massive[span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"],[/span] gigantic[span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"],[/span] pictures of filth. Things here are run very well [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]and have been so for a few years.[/span]

My only wish is that all [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]the internet[/span] forums were as nice as this one. [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]And[/span] no I am not blowing smoke or kissing ass. [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]I am[/span] just [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]telling[/span] the [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]truth[/span] as I see it. Thank You TehBorken for a great site, [span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"]a[/span] great Forum and for keeping it free.

[span style="color: rgb(160, 64, 255);"] Edits are in lavender, Spelling mistakes that needed to be corrected or area's where punctuation and further extrapolation of my thoughts was needed.[/span]

Orik

TehBorken just an additional Thank you for keeping this site family friendly, there are sometimes those  that abuse the right to free speech. And while that right is sometimes squashed  here, it is because there is something else that is needed to be done more on other sites that is been done on a regular basis here..  

Here there are moderators who are impartial to most of the things posted and they treat  everyone with respect. I have seen no judgemental mods. I have never seen the squashing  or silencing of posters for anything. Except for when it comes to threads or subjects  that have intentionally been posted to disrespect other's. In area's of  religion, race or sexual orientation.

After many years of posting here I  still impressed by the family values  of this site & of its moderators. I appreciate Discover Seattle for it's being mostly impartial and  neutral in its ability for letting most posts go with out the need of censorship.Mind I have seen the odd poster or topic silenced but then again the topis silenced deleted and posters that where silenced where ones out to raise a shit storm.

So here is another toast. To free speech, to free forums and to another wonderful year of slow but family friendly postings here at Discover Seattle