Natasha

Started by DDD, Apr 13 10 03:56

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Natasha

I think I like you better as DDD not Randy  =)

Ok serious time.
When I turn on the light to my restroom the light and fan both come on at the same time. I want to change it to two separate switches. I know I wont be able to do it myself. So when I ask someone to look at it for me how will I know they are being straight up with me and not BSing me for more cash?  

P.C.

I think it's probably pretty easy to do on your own.  Is the light part of the fan fixture ?  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Natasha

No, as far as I know it isn't. The light is in the center of the room and the fan is in directly over the toilet. The owner before me must have had some serious bowel issues..lol sorry tmi.  Anyway you can get to the wiring through the attic. For some reason there's no floor up there just boards and insulation. Well I need the light but not the fan. It's annoying having that fan turn on every time I flip the light switch. So I'd prefer two switches side by side. One for the light, one for the fan.  

DDD

[DIV style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; TEXT-ALIGN: left; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; COLOR: #000000; OVERFLOW: hidden; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; TEXT-DECORATION: none" id=TixyyLink] [H3 class=dynamic]How to Replace the Electric Light Switch[/H3] Regardless of which of the above types of electric switches is being replaced, the same basic steps are performed.

[OL] [LI]Remove power from the switch. This means turning off the circuit breaker that feeds the switch. How can it be determined which breaker it is? It may be labeled in the circuit breaker box. If not, turn the switch on and put a circuit breaker in the "Off" position. Did the light go out? If not, turn the breaker back on and try the next one.[/LI] [LI]Remove the light switch cover.[/LI] [LI]Test for power using the voltage tester.[/LI] [LI]Unscrew the switch and gently pull it out of the box.[/LI] [LI]Label each wire.[/LI] [LI]Loosen the terminal screws and pull off the wires.[/LI] [LI]Remove the old switch and verify the new one is the same type.[/LI] [LI]Put the wires on the new switch and tighten the terminal screws. (If a wire is accidentally broken, strip off enough insulation to make the connection.)[/LI] [LI]Install the new switch in the switch box and replace the screws.[/LI] [LI]Ensure that no bare wire is contacting anything.[/LI] [LI]Replace the light switch cover.[/LI] [LI]Set the circuit breaker in the "On" position and test the new switch.[/LI] [LI]If the light or appliance functions as expected, the job is done! Otherwise, turn the circuit breaker off and retrace the steps.[/LI][/OL]

Read more at Suite101: [A href="http://home-electrical.suite101.com/article.cfm/replace_an_electric_light_switch#ixzz0njwiywRQ"][FONT color=#336666]Replace an Electric Light Switch: How to Change a Lighting or Appliance Toggle Controller[/FONT][/A] [A href="http://home-electrical.suite101.com/article.cfm/replace_an_electric_light_switch#ixzz0njwiywRQ"][FONT color=#336666]http://home-electrical.suite101.com/article.cfm/replace_an_electric_light_switch#ixzz0njwiywRQ[/FONT][/A]
[/DIV]
God is great, beer is good and people are crazy!

Natasha

Thanks for the help D.  Everything should be done by Friday  ( I hope).

DDD

Natasha wrote:
 Thanks for the help D.  Everything should be done by Friday  ( I hope). [/DIV]
 Now you need to build me that  [SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; FONT-SIZE: 10pt"]Special bench [?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /][o:p][/o:p][/SPAN]

Natasha

"Special" bench, is that in any way related to the short bus riders?

DDD

Natasha wrote:
 "Special" bench, is that in any way related to the short bus riders?[/DIV]
 LOL.... I have no idea

Natasha

Is today Hump Day?

Happy Hump Day everyone.

DDD

Natasha wrote:
 Is today Hump Day?

Happy Hump Day everyone.[/DIV]
 Every day should be hump day

Natasha

I think you're talking about different type of hump.

DDD

Who me......................................[FONT color=#ffffff]YUPPERS[/FONT]

P.C.

Sorry I didn't get back to that Natasha.  I forgot.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Natasha

It's ok P.C..  It can get a bit overwhelming to sign in and see so many blue "new" to catch up on... especially when you're pressed for time.

I got the light/fan thing situated. Now I have little decoration type things to do and redo the counter top.  

DDD

Did you paint your bed room ceiling ?  

|