Vancouver Winter Olympics

Started by Violet, Feb 25 09 09:53

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

The rate of population growth in the region has been consistently higher than the provincial average, although there has been a province-wide slowing trend over time. The population of the SLRD more than doubled from 16,232 residents to 35,225 residents in the thirty year period from 1976 to 2006 (Census Canada).  During this time period, the population in the region increased at an annual rate of approximately 3.9%, while the provincial population only increased by 2.3% for the 1976 – 2006 period.  Some of the primary factors driving growth include lifestyle reasons, increasing demand for recreational services, economic and employment opportunities, natural beauty and environmental qualities, and proximity to the Lower Mainland.

Strong, sustained growth is predicted for the SLRD in the next thirty years. The population of the region is projected to almost double again in the period from 2003 to 2031: from 35,141 residents to 68,153 residents (Urban Futures).  Figure 1 shows a gradual increase in the annual growth rate from less than one percent in the near term to approximately 2.8 % per year by 2016 before declining to 2.2 percent by 2031 (Urban Futures).  

Figure 3

Source: Urban Futures, 2004

took it from the regions planning docs that they published in Jan. 08

So 68,153 people in the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Michel

P.C.

[FONT size=2]The rate of population growth in the region has been consistently higher than the provincial average, although there has been a province-wide slowing trend over time. The population of the SLRD more than doubled from 16,232 residents to 35,225 residents in the thirty year period from 1976 to 2006 (Census Canada).  During this time period, the population in the region increased at an annual rate of approximately 3.9%, while the provincial population only increased by 2.3% for the 1976 – 2006 period.  Some of the primary factors driving growth include lifestyle reasons, increasing demand for recreational services, economic and employment opportunities, natural beauty and environmental qualities, and proximity to the Lower Mainland.

Strong, sustained growth is predicted for the SLRD in the next thirty years. The population of the region is projected to almost double again in the period from 2003 to 2031: from 35,141 residents to 68,153 residents (Urban Futures).  Figure 1 shows a gradual increase in the annual growth rate from less than one percent in the near term to approximately 2.8 % per year by 2016 before declining to 2.2 percent by 2031 (Urban Futures).  

Figure 3

Source: Urban Futures, 2004

took it from the regions planning docs that they published in Jan. 08

So 68,153 people in the Squamish-Lillooet Regional District[/FONT]

[FONT size=2][/FONT]

None of that has anything to do with whether a ferry is viable or not.    

Sportsdude

Just looking at the growth of the region, I don't have a problem with the highway, I just think its a bit dangerous to be playing a game of chicken with the mountain side and I've always been partial to train transport as I don't see the car surviving this century unless we somehow can find a non-carbon based fuel. The Squamish mayor on the other hand was apparently bummed about the ferry thing not going through. When rock slides happen again I think it would be wise to have a ferry dock set up just in case for emergencies so supplies can get up into the region. When the last big slide happened, BC Ferries said they could go up there for emergency situations.

Oh just if you hadn't enough Olympic talk, Vancouver and Seattle are thinking about proposing a joint 2028 Summer Olympics bid apparently. A couple months ago the US Federal department asked some regions to submit proposals for high speed rail development, Portland-Seattle-Vancouver was a priority list. Obama has 13 billion for high speed rail development in his budget.

P.C.

Michel

Sportsdude

Sportsdude

Michel wrote:
lol pc communion waffer indeed

Yed SD, you're partial to trains. No problem with frequent trains where the population and the landscape allow it. But not in that case. Make no sense at all. Trains don't stop at the begining of every hiking trail. Car are mandatory to bring your camping stuff, ski, mountian bike whatever you do, and they won't disappear for remote area and low density places. Actually here, we're talking more about wilderness with 2 urban patch of a few square kilometers of suburbs. In town it's different, the sonner the car disappear, the better.

They do on the train from Winnipeg to Churchill and the Amtrak train that goes through New Mexico! They stop in the middle of the mountains and let you off at trails. How cool is that? :)

Michel

Sportsdude

Yeah I know about the road. lol

You win :) . But I win on my master plan of high speed rail (hopefully fingers crossed). lol Been dreaming about a high speed rail network my whole life, it better come because my idea of moving to Europe as a kid to live in transportation freedom (lol) doesn't look like it'll happen.

Although the utopian society of transporation has to be Japan.

Michel

Sportsdude

Sounds great, can't wait.

I'm not really looking for desolate in Europe, I know that doesn't exist. I've never seen Europe in that way.

P.C.

Ahhh....Transportation Freedom.

Truckers strike somewhere in Italy.

Paris...

Beijing

Beijing may be the nation's capital, but according to a recent survey, it does not even rank in China's top 10 cities in terms of suitability for living.   The city came 15th in the list, as compared to third in 2004, due to its bad traffic, high housing prices and heavy pollution.

[img style="WIDTH: 400px; HEIGHT: 295px" alt="Beijing may be the nation's capital, but according to a recent survey, it does not even rank in China's top 10 cities in terms of suitability for living. " hspace=0 src="http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2006-01/03/xin_58010303090161020301.jpg" align=baseline border=1]

Japan's utopian subway.

[A href="http://www.photopassjapan.com/densha/image19.html"][img style="WIDTH: 433px; HEIGHT: 306px" height=480 alt="Pictures of Japan : 3334 tokyo shinjuku eki homu mairu densha - train arriving at shinjuku station platform" src="http://www.photopassjapan.com/images/img%203334%20tokyo%20shinjuku%20eki%20homu%20mairu%20densha%20-%20train%20arriving%20at%20shinjuku%20station%20platform.jpg" width=640 border=1][/A]

Xiamen, South China

[img style="WIDTH: 495px; HEIGHT: 364px" height=480 src="http://www.flatrock.org.nz/topics/money_politics_law/assets/china_traff8ic_jam.jpg" width=640 border=0]

The grass is always greener.      

Violet

Trains would be ok. But if you were going skiing or camping, would you just take a taxi from the train station?
You're my boy Blue!!!

|