Can they do this?

Started by Lise, Feb 05 09 09:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

I heard a funny thing at work today. Because of the coming Olympics, they're shutting down campus for two weeks. They are STRONGLY urging us to use our vacation for the two weeks that they're closing. They can't do that, right? I mean, force us to take our vacation during the Olympics? That would be outrageous!

I wouldn't mind if they would pay us the two weeks on top of our vacation but they won't and yet they're asking us if we could use our vacation for that. Unfair.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

The same thing for students no school for 2 weeks. The hockey arena will be used for the games and the school is going on lock down with video cameras everywhere. Plus they're afraid of one of the most conservative student bodies in Canada doing something anti-olympics. lol

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Michel

49er

they could lay you off for two weeks without pay.........would you prefer that?

Sportsdude

Its a mandatory shut down executed by VANOC. They'll probably kick out the students living on campus too.  You can't resist it.
They're shutting down the libraries, locking all the buildings everything.

P.C.

That's strange.

This from the Human Resourses at UBC...

[SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-FAMILY: arial"]Q:  Will the University be closed during the Olympics?
[/SPAN][SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-FAMILY: arial"]The University will remain open.  Reading Break for students at UBCV has been extended to two weeks as [A href="http://www.senate.ubc.ca/vancouver/download/academic_year_2010.pdf"]approved by the UBC Senate[/A]. Staff and faculty are expected to come to work.[/SPAN]

[SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-FAMILY: arial"][/SPAN]

[SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-FAMILY: arial"][FONT size=2][/FONT][/SPAN]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

I hope so, PC. But it sure isn't fair to shut us out just because it's the Olympics. Word up is that they're not forcing us but suggesting that we do something elsewhere. I'm not sure what to do. Maybe just take the Friday(s) off. *shrug*

Just wanted to know if they can do this to us legally or not. Thanks for helping, y'all.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

Lise I don't know much about it.  But from what I've read so far, it is only a one week extension on the regular 1 week break.  As far as kicking students living on campus out.....can't see it happening.

[FONT face=Arial size=2][FONT face=Arial size=2] [P align=left]"This will mean that students at the UBC Vancouver campus will receive a mid-term break

[P align=left]extension during Term 2 in 2010 to two weeks instead of the usual one week. The 2009/2010

[P align=left]Reading Break will be held Monday Feb. 15 to Friday Feb. 26, 2010. All relevant Senate

guidelines regarding number of teaching days and scheduling of exams continue to be met."

[/FONT][/FONT]  

Orik

Lise Wrote :
"Just wanted to know if they can do this to us legally or not. Thanks for helping, y'all."

Doesn't UBC have a bunch of student lawyers ?

why not ask them to challenge it just to see what the legal recourse is and how Vanock reacts... and i bet you anything it will react with stormtroopers and massive doses of pepper spray... anything that challenges them will be quashed in the most forceful method possible as long as it generates no publicity...

i know of certain security firms that have orders to detain and remove any and all resisters of the Olympics, people with signs etc. are to be removed by the speediest and quietest methods to holding centers predesignated for removal by police officers

umm helloo thier is no freedoms anymore  2010 olympics is a joke... get me the hell out of this country to some distant shore of sunny beaches and semi nude bodys pls..

the only free speech left to us and the only legal action, we are allowed these days is to sit back STFU or get beat down and shot or taserd to death... this is what will be happening here at home... the closer to the olympics that it gets the more of a police state we will be living in..

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

P.C.

I don't think this is being executed by VANOC.  From everything I've read, I understand it as being something that the students requested, and supported.  Odd that the decision was made by students in 2007 for students in 2010......lol

The decision was reached with the support of the student Senate Caucus and AMS.  They are still petitioning for this at UBCO saying "this one time reading break extension is a unique opportunity to represent our communities, our university and our country on the world stage"

It doesn't sound like it is being foisted upon them AT ALL.[FONT face=Arial size=2][FONT face=Arial size=2] [P align=left]

[/FONT][/FONT]    

Michel

They

JJ

Because things were slow at Christmas I know of two companies that forced there employee's to take there vacation time, but they were both non-union.

Sportsdude

P.C. wrote:
I don't think this is being executed by VANOC.  From everything I've read, I understand it as being something that the students requested, and supported.  Odd that the decision was made by students in 2007 for students in 2010......lol
 The decision was reached with the support of the student Senate Caucus and AMS.  They are still petitioning for this at UBCO saying "this one time reading break extension is a unique opportunity to represent our communities, our university and our country on the world stage"

It doesn't sound like it is being foisted upon them AT ALL.

Well that's not what people in high places told me or anybody else. They gave the impression that the Olympic people didn't want us around with events being on campus and the security forces/cameras/check points that will be everywhere.

No buses or public transportation will be running to UBC.
Westbrook Mall will be blocked off no access without credentials.
I believe they're also shutting down either Marine or University too

[/div][font face="Arial" size="2"][font face="Arial" size="2"] [/font][/font][p align="left"][font face="Arial" size="2"][font face="Arial" size="2"] [/font][/font][/p][font face="Arial" size="2"][font face="Arial" size="2"][/font][/font] [div]

P.C.

Well that's not what people in high places told me or anybody else. They gave the impression that the Olympic people didn't want us around with events being on campus and the security forces/cameras/check points that will be everywhere.

Maybe the people that are in high places were correct, or maybe their high places aren't as high as they think they are.  I don't know.  I just found that information on the UBC website.