Grocery Bills

Started by P.C., Jan 30 09 10:48

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

After debating with SD about monthly grocery bills a couple months ago, it occurred to me, that I really no longer had any idea what we were spending on groceries.  I used to be totally aware of these things, but over the last few years, Sawdust has taken over 90% of the grocery shopping, as he passes the market every day.  When I asked him what we were spending on food, he had no idea.  When we need it or want it.....we get it.  This is Sawdust's idea of budgeting.....lol

SO....I decided to get back to being aware of such things....and have saved all receipts through January.  I had to add in to the total costs, foods we used that were already in house.  For this month, to date, we are at $287.09, plus $38 for in house stuff.  $322.09.  

Does anyone else have any idea what portion of their paycheques is going to food ?
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

purelife

[div]That's funny how you're mentioning about this because the other night, I was thinking that I should start keeping all my recipts (starting Feb 1) and then track them using Excel.  I wanted an exact figure of what I'm spending and what I'm buying because right now, I only guestimate.
 [/div]

P.C.

Same here purelife.  Really no concept of where the money goes.  There was a time where I knew where every penny went.  I have no interest in adhering to a budget to that extent any more....but my curiosity was peaked.  I knew beyond a doubt that we weren't spending anywhere near one to three thousand bucks...but I had no idea exactly what we were spending on food.  I feel a little better about Sawdust splurging on 4 teeny steaks for $38. (just a little better)

Michel

purelife

P.C.

I see food like gas for the car, I need it, hence I pay.

True for sure Michel....that's Sawdust's view as well.  It's just good to get a perspective on what you're spending on what.  Should one ever need to cut back for one reason or another, it's good to know where you could start pruning.  

Michel

P.C.

[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c003.gif" border=0]                                                                                                 .

Lise

I've given up looking at the statements. I've no choice. I have to pay for the entire family (plus my in-laws). I know I should give up on stuff but I have my indulges like books and buying pretty toys/clothes for the kids.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

I don't keep track.  But I've cut back lately.  Haven't been buying things unless on sale, using far less meat, more tofu.

Haven't been to the liquor store, either.  I was on the wagon for a couple of weeks, then I started finishing remnants of dusty bottles.  (Did try to buy a 6-pack at 8:30 am yesterday before heading up skiing- no dice.  The local beer store doesn't open until, uh, later in the day.  My friend had 2 cans left in her fridge, so we started with those and then had another drink in the pub at Mt Seymour).

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

49er

I usually get a ball park check of my expences by comparing my end of month checking account balance with the previous month's

purelife

Just spent close to $100 today at Stupidstore.  

Michel

Orik

when i smoked monthly bills for food and smokes roughly 6  bills a month

now its about 40 to 50 dollars a month in water.. depending on if i go through 4 water jugs or 5 from canadian springs

dry foods canned goods. 50 - 100 dollars

meats 50 - 100 a month  ( it used to be higher )

fresh fruit and vegetables is easily 90 to 150  dollars per month now. it used to be only 50 dollars a month but since my liver capped out on me i find i love fresh veggies and fruits and cant seem to get enough celery cucumbers & tomatoes

for fruits its fresh squeezed lemons or  limes to mix in my tea and honey...oranges pears apples  and pineapples for snacking on...i cant seem to get enough of these either..

so about 200 to 300 a month in food fluctuates a little bit cause i don't usually shop month to month i buy week to week cause my diet now includes lots more fresh fruits and vegetables...

man i have a craving for a ceaser salad from henrys

happy Superbowl day .. Superbowl is today right ?

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.