Looking for Silk Store

Started by P.C., Nov 25 08 01:44

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

Lil Me.....unless my memory is worse than I thought, I have a vague recollection of you posting something about a place that has good prices on silk. ?????  

I just read 38 pages in the Best Deals thread and the Budget Tips thread....nothing about silk.

Anyways, I need some, and our local Fabricland has only a limited colour selection. Which is a bummer, because they had the dupioni silk on for 50% off, which is exactly the silk I'm looking for.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lil Me

Sorry, I can't remember if I did, P.C.
 Dressew on Hastings?  or the Indian cloth stores at 49th and Main have many colours, rock bottom prices.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

Ahhhh....I think that's the one somebody mentioned before....on 49th.

Thanks Lil Me  

Russ

P.C. wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]Ahhhh....I think that's the one somebody mentioned before....on 49th.[/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"] [/div] [div style="font-style: italic;"]Thanks Lil Me[/div]  That "could" be me. My neighbor owns the entire block on the corner of 49th and main and two of the fabric stores. What do you want.

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

Looking for dupioni silk in a particular colour.  Shopping here is a bit of a desert sometimes.

Russ

Get me some details and a picture. Ill stop by there later today or tomorrow.  

P.C.

Hey Russ....I found a piece of dupioni silk in my fabric stash, and I think it might be too light for what I want.....so I'm thinking I might need raw silk.  Either one.  It's very 'nubby' looking and kinda crude....almost like burlap.  If you could price that out for me if you're in the neighbourhood, that would be awesome.  If they've got a good selection, I would make the trip.  Also, I'm looking for an oatmealy, champagne colour.  Price per meter ?????

[img alt="natural raw silk" src="http://www.baronboutique.com/raw_silk/raw_silk_9.jpg" border=0 NATURALSIZEFLAG="3"]  

P.C.

I remember the fabric store you were talking about Lil Me.  It was the '?' Innovations ???  But I can't remember what kinds of fabrics they had.

Lil Me

Oh, that! Sorry.  Outdoor Innovations.  They have lots of tarp material, tent material, vinyls, fleeces, plastics, plus all the doohickeys to make your own tent, backpack or sail.

But no "nice" fabrics, I'm afraid.

[a href="mailto:[email protected]"][span class="strong"][/span][/a] [h1]Outdoor Innovations[/h1]       [div class="businessItem"]           3293 Main Street, Vancouver, BC V5V 3M6
   Telephone : 604-873-6992   [/div]

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

Oh that's right.   Tarping won't work for this project I'm afraid.

I saw this fantastic floor lamp at Pier 1.  It was just a square/rectangular espresso coloured wood base that sat on the floor, and the 'shade', was a rectangular tube, about 6 feet tall, that sat in the base.  It was fabulous....but it was also $250.  I know my daughter would love it, so I'm thinking it should be somewhat easy to build. (I think)  So that's what I'm going to try.  I also can't see it costing more than $35 to 40 bucks.  (depending on whether I luck into a sale on silk)  

Lil Me

That sounds like a great project.  

P.C.

Sometimes I have a tendency to think things are easier than they are.     If I don't post a pic when I'm done, don't ask how it went.  

Russ

So.. hows it going thus far PC?  

P.C.

Still looking for the right fabric.  Checked fabric stores in Victoria, and they're about as pathetic as ours.  I'd have no problem if I wanted a quilted shade.....LOL.....seems to be lots of quilt fabric stores.  Box and shade frame should be the easy part.