Proper or Not Proper

Started by P.C., Nov 13 08 05:11

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

OK....I haven't thought this through yet...but a friend asked me what I thought about her idea for Christmas presents for her granddaughter.......  She said that she was thinking of wrapping up some 'house treasures'....  (special things she has kept for years).  I'm not sure about this....and yet there is something kinda cool about it.  I think I may have poo-pood the idea too quickly.

Thoughts ?
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

49er

Depends on age and maturity of the granddaughter.

P.C.

That's true 49er....I think there are a lot of factors to consider.  The more I think about it, the more I like the idea.  It's like ultimate re-gifting/recycling.  The fact is, unless a person is prepared to spend a fortune on the latest craze, chance are ANY gift has a chance of ending up on the floor in the closet.  

I've done this for my daughter lots of times.  I call them treasure boxes...but I don't give them for Christmas or birthday......just for fun.

Michel

Lise

Yep. Definitely depending on the age. I don't think a little girl would appreciate the 'treasures' but it's a nice idea regardless.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

I agree with 49er, Lise and Michel.

It definitely depends on her maturity.  If I got a treasure from my grandma for 'xmas, I'd LOVE it.  If I got it when I was a kid, I wouldn't have kept it and treasured it.  It wouldn't mean anything to me.

P.C.

I don't think we're talking doilies here.  There are some really cool toys that her daughter had when she was little.  Some of the stuff is pretty unique.  

Lil Me

I'm with purelife.

Btw, I have a great aunt who is a miserable, cheap old woman who re-gifts crappy used items which are not family heirlooms.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

Seriously, how old is the granddaughter? If she's a kid or a teenager, she might not appreciate at all what is considered treasures by grandma, especially at Christmas[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff80"], the worst consuming day of the year.[/FONT]

[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff80"][/FONT]

I think that's exactly what she is trying to combat.  She's done the ipods and games systems and electronics....and they all end up being old news within the year.

Michel

Michel

purelife

If she thinks her granddaughter knows the meaning behind the gift and will appreciate and treasure it, then I think it's a great idea to share these gifts with her.

If she thinks she'll pawn it or sell it on ebay for $, then probably not.

P.C.

OK....new news on this story.  

Here's a novel idea.  She actually asked her daughter what HER thoughts were on this.  And this is beautiful...this is what she said.  "It would be pretty hypocritical for me to be offended by the idea, because every year, I have had my daughter select some good quality things that she doesn't use (or never used) PLUS one of her favourite toys, to give to someone less fortunate than herself."  

It gets better !  She went on to say  "...and in a way, my daughter IS one of the less fortunate.  She has never had to want for anything and because of it, has missed out on the valuable lesson of respecting and valuing her possessions."  (which she accepted as her own fault)  She also said, that she had been looking for ways to get off the track of buying all the latest crap and to get back to a simpler experience.