Rusted knifes ???

Started by Michel, Oct 19 08 11:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Michel

stretchedout

Some metals oxidize sooner than others.  Any knife that has rust on it after a wash is worthy of the tool box, or a museam because it is so old.
C'mon, the city is sleeping!

Michel

stretchedout

Michel wrote:
GRRRR but they are brand new. crap crap crap !  
   Brand new?  I'm guessing they are "generic new"!

You are reminding me of that knife business that try to claim their knife sets are on sale for 75% off - drive by Marine and Byrne Road and see the sign on the Way.
C'mon, the city is sleeping!

Michel

P.C.

It's the harsh chemicals in the dishwasher detergent.  Chlorine or bleach is murder on stainless.  Leaving to sit in the dishwasher wet promotes rust as well.

Stainless powder cleaner will fix them...and sometimes toothpaste (not gel) or baking soda will work as well.

Best bet....wash them by hand.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

P.C.

No...sorry Michel.  I meant toothpaste, not gel toothpaste for cleaning the rust off.    

Michel

P.C.

It will work with surface rust....but if it is already pitted, it might not work so well.    The stainless powder cleaners, that I use for my pots, will work pretty good even on the small pits.  But as toothpaste is a lot cheaper, give it a try first.  (and try baking soda too...also cheaper)

Michel

P.C.

It could be the proportion of stainless in them too Michel.  If they are very magnetic, they might be more prone to dishwasher rust.

Michel

P.C.

I have a set of Henkels that we've used for 15 years and they are still amazing.  Of course we don't have a dishwasher, so rust isn't an issue....just an ever ready supply of band-aids.

Michel