Homeless Allowed to Camp in parks

Started by P.C., Oct 15 08 03:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Is allowing the homeless to set up tents in public parks OK ?

Absolutely....they have to stay somewhere
0 (0%)
I don't think it's OK....but they have to stay somewhere
4 (80%)
No...it violates the rights of other park users
2 (40%)
Definitely not....it's not the answer to anything
0 (0%)
Sure...why not.  We should all camp in the parks free, why pay to camp in a Provincial Park
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 5

weird al

I wonder, if I were homeless and camping in a park and the cops chased me away, where would I go? There's no place that I can claim a right to - so maybe I would stay put and let them arrest me. What's the worst that could happen to me? I'd be in jail right? So I'd be entitled to a ham sandwich and lukewarm coffee in a scalding hot cup.

And I would be no more likely to be assaulted in jail than in a park, after all. And there would be a considerable police presence at all times. Not to mention dry conditions, usually.

P.C.

I wonder, if I were homeless and camping in a park and the cops chased me away, where would I go? There's no place that I can claim a right to - so maybe I would stay put and let them arrest me. What's the worst that could happen to me? I'd be in jail right? So I'd be entitled to a ham sandwich and lukewarm coffee in a scalding hot cup.

And I would be no more likely to be assaulted in jail than in a park, after all. And there would be a considerable police presence at all times. Not to mention dry conditions, usually.

Hey weird al !  I think a lot of them may be glad to spend a night somewhere dry and warm...and to be treated as well as a criminal.  

I feel so badly for the plight of the homeless....while at the same time being frustrated with them.  For instance....why does it have to be IN Vancouver.  There are people who were born in Vancouver who have worked hard and payed taxes all their lives, some with double incomes or two jobs....and THEY can't even afford to live IN Vancouver.  

All I know, is that the time for playing political games over this should be done.  If we spent as much energy in doing something about it, instead of shuffling around it, we'd be well on our way to having it fixed.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

weird al

Well, if I'm ever going to be homeless, I'm going to look for the very best sort of area to be homeless in. UBC, Whistler, you know...  

P.C.

lol...I suppose.

I also suppose it could happen to anyone.  For every mentally unbalanced person out there on the streets, is a person with a university education.  The whole mess is too sad.

49er

Unless the encampments are near populated areas where they can beg for loose change, the homeless are not going to use.

BTW where is teh Sportsdude?   He could write a thesis on the subject

purelife

49er wrote:
BTW where is teh Sportsdude?   [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff40"]He could write a thesis on the subject[/FONT]    [img height=62 src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/richedit/smileys/Happy/8.gif" width=82 border=0] Hopefully, it can be truncated, somehow cuz he could write Cole's notes on it.

purelife

LOL Michel.  That took you a while to figure out how things get

B[FONT size=5] I[/FONT] [FONT size=6]G G[/FONT] [FONT size=7]E R[/FONT]!  

Michel

purelife

I think you misunderstood or overlooked my joke.  LOL...that's ok.  

Michel

[font style="background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);" color="#ffffff"]
[/font]

P.C.

Yep, I discovered that thanks to Lise a few weeks ago but didn't thought about applying the same concept to the emoticons.

Lise showed you how to make it bigger ?  [img height=66 src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/richedit/smileys/Shocked/1.gif" width=73 border=0]    

purelife

LOL!  Now we're talking, P.C.!!!  

Michel

|