Are you watching the Leaders Debate?

Started by Russ, Oct 02 08 07:11

Previous topic - Next topic

What are you watching? The Leaders Debate?

Canadian Leaders
American VP's
What Leaders Debate
Regular Television
MMM Bacon

Russ

You can vote more than once... I watched the canadian one as everyone bashed Harper and not each other. All of them have good points, but dont acknowledge that other parties have similar platforms with different ways of getting there. I honestly dont like all of the Conservatives idea's, I like many of the others better.

We switched to the US one because of all the bickering against Harper.. whatever happened to debating against each other.    
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

purelife

I saw it for a while and noticed about the bickering against Harper too....then I changed the channel.

Sportsdude

We must of seen a different debate, I've never seen politicians actually talk about issues before the past two nights in french and english like they do in Canadian debates.

Harper is the Prime Minister, of course he's going to be attacked on his policies. Last debate it was Harper attacking Martin 24/7.

Saw both.
Palin never said anything of substance.
Biden did, but those debates are just attacks on the presidential runners.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

Refreshing isnt it, having politicians actually talk about their policies. Or attack the others so at least you hear most of them.

You are right they are after him cause he's the PM, but I also think it's because all of them have similar platforms and are all varying stages of left. Harpers very right. Except the Green Party.

The green party brought up some very good points. Unfortunately she was annoying and couldnt stop from speaking out of turn. Harper was the only one that spoke when he was supposed to and not interupt others when they were speaking. She was the only one that wasnt on the left or right.. she was like a dog yapping at both sides.

Layton has a fetish with 'kitchen tables' and Harpers sweater.

Lil Me

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Russ

Lil Me wrote:
No tv.  

I think this is the smartest answer to this !

P.C.

[img style="WIDTH: 286px; HEIGHT: 340px" height=545 src="http://www.market-speculator.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/Yawn.gif" width=409]

Pardon.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/liebe/g038.gif" border=0]  

....um....well, I listened.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

Russ wrote:
Refreshing isnt it, having politicians actually talk about their policies. Or attack the others so at least you hear most of them.

--------------------------
Yeah May sounded like an activist in both debates. Used words like "fraud, autocratic" etc. in both, Dion and Layton must of been beaming of the 'omg she's digging herself a hole'.

Harper has an aloof problem. Literally he looked like he was on drugs last night in the french debate, tonight he did his usual Dick Cheney smirk, which is really annoying.
Layton gets too excited in English debates, like its Christmas and his kids are about to open their presents.
Dion seemed drowned out, complete opposite from last night.
Duceppe is great during the English debates. He should show up with a beer in his hand and just crack jokes, since he knows there's no real point for him being in the English debates.

Harper didn't come off well in these two debates, any ideas of majority went poof. 'More of the same' line will stick on him with the economic outlook.
I can't figure Dion out, Liberals are lucky in BC if they don't lose all their seats.
At least in Dion's case he comes off better in this debate format, he can express his policies much better.

Another problem for Harper is the culture issue. His governments actions on bills and then cutting culture, which is a huge job creator.  Quebec is the most that gets hurt by culture cuts, since they put the most into it and enjoy it the most. It's near political suicide in Quebec.

Layton used the sweater joke because Harper has yet to announce a platform and after the debate on CBC Newsworld there's rumours that he'll announce a platform, if this "hey the Tories don't a platform out yet" line sticks. Which it could and if they do release a platform, it'll look really silly on Harper's part. He'll have gone the whole campaign without one, then with a couple of days to go, show Canada his platform? That comes off as odd.

Van

I missed the debates. I was at a coffee shop for a bit, then had to get some housework done. Just a stereo night last night.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Van

Sportsdude wrote:
Russ wrote:

--------------------------
Yeah May sounded like an activist in both debates. Used words like "fraud, autocratic" etc. in both, Dion and Layton must of been beaming of the 'omg she's digging herself a hole'.

Harper has an aloof problem. Literally he looked like he was on drugs last night in the french debate, tonight he did his usual Dick Cheney smirk, which is really annoying.
Layton gets too excited in English debates, like its Christmas and his kids are about to open their presents.
Dion seemed drowned out, complete opposite from last night.
Duceppe is great during the English debates. He should show up with a beer in his hand and just crack jokes, since he knows there's no real point for him being in the English debates.

Harper didn't come off well in these two debates, any ideas of majority went poof. 'More of the same' line will stick on him with the economic outlook.
I can't figure Dion out, Liberals are lucky in BC if they don't lose all their seats.
At least in Dion's case he comes off better in this debate format, he can express his policies much better.

Another problem for Harper is the culture issue. His governments actions on bills and then cutting culture, which is a huge job creator.  Quebec is the most that gets hurt by culture cuts, since they put the most into it and enjoy it the most. It's near political suicide in Quebec.

Layton used the sweater joke because Harper has yet to announce a platform and after the debate on CBC Newsworld there's rumours that he'll announce a platform, if this "hey the Tories don't a platform out yet" line sticks. Which it could and if they do release a platform, it'll look really silly on Harper's part. He'll have gone the whole campaign without one, then with a couple of days to go, show Canada his platform? That comes off as odd.

Yeah, they all seem pathetic hey?

I am not sure what you mean by cutting culture? Why would anyone depend on government for 'culture'?

When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

purelife

Sportsdude

Van wrote:[em][/em]
Yeah, they all seem pathetic hey? [/p] I am not sure what you mean by cutting culture? Why would anyone depend on government for 'culture'? [/p]
[/p]somewhat, I'm just stoked they're talking policy over "we're mavericks, I represent Joe Six pack" etc.
[/p]Okay I'm going to make a stretch here, but this is from an American looking at why the government pays for culture. English Canada has been in my view taken over by America, there's really no Canadian programming, no real English Canada identity or Globe and Mail wouldn't have an essay in its newspaper every other month about the "Canadian Identity" or "What is Canada".  To me that's typical funny Canadianisms though, only Canadians would be so pessimistic lol, first day in Canadian History class prof goes "they thought the country wouldn't last a month back in 1867" "oh no they thought, how the heck do you expect us to work together if we've never gotten along".  
[/p] Look at the debates for example, they were strategically placed on certain  days so the private networks wouldn't lose their precious ratings from American tv shows.   My  reasoning on culture only works for Canada because of its location next to America. Australia and the UK are separated by oceans surrounded by different languages and cultures, so those countries don't have to worry about a more dominant english country. Canada isn't an island. Anyway, I think it goes: If the government of Canada does not promote and fight for Canadian culture then Canada would lose its culture, thus its identity. [/p]It's not even just arts, Canadian History in schools isn't being taught apparently (prof told me), this leads to a populace of people who don't know anything of their own country, it's culture, history etc. I felt embarrassed last year to explain to a bunch of 18 year olds what the cultural significance of the hockey players on the back of the 5 dollar bill or when they'd as usual go for talking about America, I'd respond "do you know your head of state", "do you know the prime minister".  They didn't know. To say "well politics isn't my thing" isn't acceptable it shows lack of cultural knowledge of where you live, which is only hurting themselves in their own country's cultural enrichment.

Anyway that's the theory and then think about Quebec. French in an extremely dominant anglo continent. If the roles were reversed and we were the minority, we'd be fighting for our own cultural existence as well.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

stretchedout

purelife wrote:
 I forgot to make popcorn...[/DIV]
 [A href="http://www.dailymotion.com:80/sassiere/video/x5odhh_pop-corn-telephone-portable-microon_news"]http://www.dailymotion.com:80/sassiere/video/x5odhh_pop-corn-telephone-portable-microon_news[/A]
C'mon, the city is sleeping!

Van

Sportsdude wrote:
somewhat, I'm just stoked they're talking policy over "we're mavericks, I represent Joe Six pack" etc.

Is this in refernce to the USA debates? etc??  who is the maverick?

Okay I'm going to make a stretch here, but this is from an American looking at why the government pays for culture. English Canada has been in my view taken over by America, there's really no Canadian programming, no real English Canada identity or Globe and Mail wouldn't have an essay in its newspaper every other month about the "Canadian Identity" or "What is Canada".  To me that's typical funny Canadianisms though, only Canadians would be so pessimistic lol, first day in Canadian History class prof goes "they thought the country wouldn't last a month back in 1867" "oh no they thought, how the heck do you expect us to work together if we've never gotten along".  

True, English Canadians are good at "Not being American", and yet, very Americanized.

Its like Vancouver people driving down in drunken busloads on Sundays to watch NFL in Seattle?

Look at the debates for example,

I just caught the highlights on the news.

they were strategically placed on certain  days so the private networks wouldn't lose their precious ratings from American tv shows.   My  reasoning on culture only works for Canada because of its location next to America. Australia and the UK are separated by oceans surrounded by different languages and cultures, so those countries don't have to worry about a more dominant english country. Canada isn't an island. Anyway, I think it goes: If the government of Canada does not promote and fight for Canadian culture then Canada would lose its culture, thus its identity.

I am an oddball, I don't watch much TV at all.  A bit of news. Documentaries..music..American Movies on the other hand..

It's not even just arts, Canadian History in schools isn't being taught apparently (prof told me), this leads to a populace of people who don't know anything of their own country, it's culture, history etc. I felt embarrassed last year to explain to a bunch of 18 year olds what the cultural significance of the hockey players on the back of the 5 dollar bill or when they'd as usual go for talking about America, I'd respond "do you know your head of state", "do you know the prime minister".  They didn't know. To say "well politics isn't my thing" isn't acceptable it shows lack of cultural knowledge of where you live, which is only hurting themselves in their own country's cultural enrichment.

I remember a ton, I mean a TON of Canadian history in Jr. High. Whether is was correct history?? I don't know?

Anyway that's the theory and then think about Quebec. French in an extremely dominant anglo continent. If the roles were reversed and we were the minority, we'd be fighting for our own cultural existence as well.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

I have to give sports credit...Good in depth reply sports.

I guess what I am saying is, culture comes from peoples daily lives, not a TV set. (although most people nowaday do sit their a*ses down in front of a TV for many hours every night?).  If Corner Gas is what is cutting it for Canadian Culture, please let them have it.

I don't trust the government to do anything in a positive manner, so when it comes to culture support, I am weary.  I don't think about culture like others I guess. I am just livin', enjoying the outdoors and I like my pub nights. I work hard, and play harder.  I love music, from all parts of the world.

Rock came from the USA, the Brits took it, spit it back at the USA with vengence!!

P.C.

I have to give sports credit...Good in depth reply sports. I guess what I am saying is, culture comes from peoples daily lives, not a TV set. (although most people nowaday do sit their a*ses down in front of a TV for many hours every night?).  If Corner Gas is what is cutting it for Canadian Culture, please let them have it.

I don't trust the government to do anything in a positive manner, so when it comes to culture support, I am weary.  I don't think about culture like others I guess. I am just livin', enjoying the outdoors and I like my pub nights. I work hard, and play harder.  I love music, from all parts of the world.

Rock came from the USA, the Brits took it, spit it back at the USA with vengence!!

As usual, I'm pretty sure I don't know the scope of such a decision, concerning cutting funding to 'the arts'.  I suspect it's not the popular opinion, but all the comments about withdrawing this funding being related to 'censorship' isn't sitting right with me.

Firstly, cutting funding isn't censorship....denying artists from being artistic is censorship.

Secondly, funding or not funding 'culture' is shaping culture, depending on which government rules.  No?  So...is that an accurate representation of Canadian culture ?  Or is it directly related to which government decides what 'art' or 'culture' represents Canada best (in their opinion at any given time).

It's not unlike Canadian/American Idol.  A small segment of society, decides what talent is the best.....based on a small representation of the population that says is best.  I've always thought true talent is based on acception from the masses.  If your art is the best...it will rise to the top on its own merit.  If it's not so good.....buying your way in (or having your way in, paid for), doesn't make it better nor does it necessarily make it a clear representation of the average Canadian.

OK....educate me.

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.