Are you watching the Leaders Debate?

Started by Russ, Oct 02 08 07:11

Previous topic - Next topic

What are you watching? The Leaders Debate?

Canadian Leaders
American VP's
What Leaders Debate
Regular Television
MMM Bacon

Sportsdude

Harper and censorship has to do with bill C-10.
"is a clause that allows the heritage minister or her designate to withhold tax credits from productions that are deemed to be "contrary to public policy".   Nobody is exactly sure what that means. Some in Canadian film, including actor-director Sarah Polley and director David Cronenberg, have claimed that the bill smacks of censorship and threatens the future of the country's film industry; on the other side are those like Conservative MP Jim Abbott, parliamentary secretary to the minister of Canadian heritage, who has compared the Senate hearings to a "gong show". [/p]  At the centre of the uproar is a small Canadian film called Young People f*cking, (for more details about the film, see [a href="http://www.straight.com/article-149295/young-and-reckless"]this lead feature[/a]) which will open in Vancouver on Friday (June 13). The $1.4-million movie has a lot more to do with relationships than with carnal pleasure, but its title has raised the ire of religious conservatives, including Charles McVety, president of the Canada Family Action Coalition. For Steven Hoban, the producer of Young People f*cking, this is a serious affair that could have an impact on all Canadian filmmakers and the crews that work on their productions."[/p]
[/p][a href="http://www.straight.com/article-149268/canadas-new-culture-war"]http://www.straight.com/article-149268/canadas-new-culture-war[/a]
[/p]Everybody I know who saw Young People f*cking thought it was hilarious. In the end the title reflects the realities of Canadian cinema, you need a eye popping title to get noticed at all.
[/p]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Van

What I am saying though is this. No matter how supportive or unsupportive a government is when it comes to culture, it isn't really going to help either way. Culture to me, comes from peoples daily lives. What is done in their lives from the time they get out of bed, until bedtime. Culture happens with or without gov. support. To me, its actions in your daily lives, not a stupid Canadian made movie or TV show. I think until the majority of Canadians turn off their TV's in the evening and do someting constructive, we are at a dead end. Then there is Trudeau, a lot of people think the end of Canadian culture ended with him when he brought out the M word.

Myself, I don't care. When I see a person trying to give Canada a cultural definition, it makes me think of a sniviling kid in high school..."Define me...define me...sniffle".

When I was in the UK, it seemed people were more into CSI and Seinfeld than most other TV shows? Does that make them uncultured?
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

purelife

Van wrote:
When I was in the UK, it seemed people were more into CSI and Seinfeld than most other TV shows? Does that make them uncultured?

I thought they were more into David and Victoria Beckham.  

Van

purelife wrote:
I thought they were more into David and Victoria Beckham.  

Lol! Well you are probably right. I only noticed from a few people I met. I could be far off on the Seinfeld CSI thing too. To be honest, while I was there, I really wasn't concerned with what people were watching on TV.  

When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!