Old Words

Started by TehBorken, Sep 23 08 06:51

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

As new words are included in dictionaries, old words are sometimes dropped because they are no longer in use. Compilers of the Collins Dictionary have a list of words they are considering dropping from the new edition. [blockquote][em]Dictionary compilers at Collins have decided that the word list for the forthcoming edition of its largest volume is embrangled with words so obscure that they are linguistic recrement. Such words, they say, must be exuviated abstergently to make room for modern additions that will act as a roborant for the book.[/em][/p] [em]Readers who vilipend the compilers' decision and vaticinate that society will be poorer without little-used words have been offered a chance to save them from the endangered list. Collins, which is owned by News Corporation, parent company of The Times, has agreed that words will be granted a reprieve if evidence of their popularity emerges before February, when the word list is finalized. [/em][/p][/blockquote] Did you understand that? If so, you may want to vote on your favorite words to keep in the dictionary. [a  href="http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article4799560.ece"]Link[/a]  
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

P.C.

I find myself embrangled by all of the words on the list. Being as I have never heard of a single one of them on the list, I won't miss them.    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

Gopher

I loved these words and shall endeavour to memorise them for use in my everyday vocabulary (they're also useful for Scrabble and word association games).  
A fool's paradise is better than none.