Midlife Crisis Advice

Started by Lil Me, Sep 06 08 10:54

Previous topic - Next topic

purelife

Sportsdude wrote:

I'm not talking 'changing of views' to me that's not what people or I consider a 'midlife crisis'.
To my extent of seeing people going through a midlife crisis it has always been about 'what if' during the past 20 or so years. [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff40"]Usually stemming from a decision in university to go in one direction against the advice of a parent or something that happened around 30 or so when the opportunity to change careers happened,[/FONT] but for whatever reason the person in question decided not to act.

OMG, you're not talking about me, are you?

P.C.

I'm not talking 'changing of views' to me that's not what people or I consider a 'midlife crisis'.
To my extent of seeing people going through a midlife crisis it has always been about 'what if' during the past 20 or so years. Usually stemming from a decision in university to go in one direction against the advice of a parent or something that happened around 30 or so when the opportunity to change careers happened, but for whatever reason the person in question decided not to act.

Same thing in my opinion can be applied to relationships as well.

You know.....it's REALLY OK for you to not know what it's like to be 40.    
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lil Me

Who needs Dr Phil anymore?  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

purelife wrote:
[em]Sportsdude wrote:
 [/em]

[em][/em][/div][em]I'm not talking 'changing of views' to me that's not what people or I consider a 'midlife crisis'.
To my extent of seeing people going through a midlife crisis it has always been about 'what if' during the past 20 or so years. [font style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 64);"]Usually stemming from a decision in university to go in one direction against the advice of a parent or something that happened around 30 or so when the opportunity to change careers happened,[/font] but for whatever reason the person in question decided not to act.[/em]

OMG, you're not talking about me, are you?

Noooo, I'm talking about my father, who is going through a 'midlife crisis'. He's telling me to be a double major and going to law school eventually, because he regrets following his own father's advice about not double majoring in engineering and music. Then at 30, his career stalled he tried something new, but then went back to his music career because he wanted to spend more time with me.

[div]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Sportsdude

P.C. wrote:
  [em][/em]You know.....it's REALLY OK for you to not know what it's like to be 40.

Life is not complicated, we just make it so and my parents went through the 40 and the 50 and one of them tells me what its and its the same regret, regret, should of done this, should have taken this advice, shouldn't have bought this, etc.

I don't know how you raised your kids, but I was always kept in the loop of things or what one of them was going through they'd tell me.

I don't know, but I can see it and I've lived with people going through it.

P.C.

That's like suggesting you know what it's like to be a quadriplegic because you've sat in a wheelchair before.  Some day you'll get the difference between observing something and experiencing it.

Sportsdude

um no.
I explained in the pm.

P.C.

Yes....you explained what you have observed.  You aren't in a position to explain what you have experienced in your mid-life yet....because it's impossible.  It's not an insult....it just is what it is.

Sportsdude

I can relate to the life I have. Nobody knows when their midlife will be... So the idea of 'mid life' is rather funny if you think about it. Not everybody lives to their 80s. We think about this stuff and then we're gone tomorrow in some freak accident.

P.C.

I resign from this topic.   [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c019.gif" border=0]

Sportsdude

Van

I am pretty sure when someone says midlife, they mean the avereage person with an avereage lifespan.

Looks like this thread's midlife was over before it started?
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

purelife

When in doubt, check Wikipedia!  LOL  Here's what it says:

Midlife crisis is a term used in [A title="Western culture" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_culture"]Western societies[/A] to describe a period of dramatic self-doubt that is felt by some individuals in the "middle years" of life, as a result of sensing the passing of youth and the imminence of old age. Sometimes, transitions experienced in these years, such as aging in general, [A title=Menopause href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menopause"]menopause[/A], the death of parents, or [A title="Empty nest syndrome" href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empty_nest_syndrome"]children leaving home[/A], can trigger such a crisis. The result may be a desire to make significant changes in core aspects of day to day life or situation, such as in career, marriage, or romantic relationships.

Many middle aged adults experience major life events that can cause a period of psychological stress or depression, such as the death of a loved one, or a career setback. However, those events could have happened earlier or later in life, making them a "crisis," but not necessarily a midlife one.

[A href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid_life_crisis"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mid_life_crisis[/A]

Michel

purelife

Oops, I completely missed your link.  

|