The new ferries are shaking and cracking people's homes

Started by Sportsdude, Aug 26 08 07:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

[a href="http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=44f0604a-1379-4262-919a-adbe2dc7ca3e"]http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=44f0604a-1379-4262-919a-adbe2dc7ca3e[/a]

When Super C ferries attack.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Sportsdude

Really? I didn't have a problem walking. lol

Lil Me

You must have more stability because of your big feet.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

lol. Nah, these days I'm more like an immovable object meeting an unstoppable force (wind) on the boat.
love that line from the dark knight

JJ

Didn't they learn anything from the Fast Cats?

P.C.

I think I'd be more concerned about the general stability of the land I was on.  If low frequency vibration is rattling my walls and breaking my windows.....I don't want to be there.....with or without the new ferries.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

Well as one person said in the article, they could move the titanics to Duke Point. Although BC Ferries would look silly with the massive new terminal they're building in Departure Bay.  

Russ

Interesting.
Although from my experience if theres problems with teh exhaust it will cause high frequency vibration on the vessel, for something like that to travel a distance, through the earth, and crack things it would have to be low frequency. To me its more likely as its being transmitted from teh Hull of the vessel which is getting the vibrations from the engines.. which seem to be more and more hardmounted to the hulls on a solid bedplate, then having rubber mounts or chockfast resilient mounts. Could be from the propeller, but usually if theres an off pitch on one of the blades you would hear a 'singing' sound as well as feel a slight vibration.

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

So you think it could be a design flaw?