accessing DV through a proxy

Started by tmapj, Mar 24 06 01:12

Previous topic - Next topic

tmapj

Has anyone else tried this? I can't seem to get in this way. Did they enact a new ban on proxies? I've tried everything and just can't get in.

tenkani

Just out of curiosity, what is your purpose in connecting to DV using a proxy?
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

TehBorken

tenkani wrote:

If I had to guess, I'd say someone's IP got banned, either by accident or on purpose. It appears that a lot of people are being locked out in the rather indiscriminate IP banning.
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Trollio

tmapj wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]Has anyone else tried this? I can't seem to get in this way. Did they enact a new ban on proxies? I've tried everything and just can't get in.[/div]
  I wonder what proxies you tried? Chances are they're not true proxies.  
one must be intelligent to get intelligent answers.
— bebu

Trollio

TehBorken wrote:
 If I had to guess, I'd say someone's IP got banned, either by accident or on purpose. It appears that a lot of people are being locked out in the rather indiscriminate IP banning.

Except that I can get off anywhere from three to five posts over there under almost any name I've used before, and then nothing will go through at all. So I'm thinking they are experimenting with some kind of anti-hammering (which would be of interest to them) or post timers or something in that realm. It's curious.

one must be intelligent to get intelligent answers.
— bebu

tenkani

Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic has always been one of my favorite cliches.
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

TehBorken

tenkani wrote:
[div style="font-style: italic;"]Rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic has always been one of my favorite cliches.[/div]
 Reminds me of an old Tom Neff quote: "NASA Announces New Deck Chair Arrangement For Space Station Titanic"
[font size="-1"][/font]

tmapj

tenkani wrote:

Well, I can't seem to post to the forum normally, so I'm trying proxies.  

tmapj

Trollio wrote:
TehBorken wrote:
 [SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic"]If I had to guess, I'd say someone's IP got banned, either by accident or on purpose. It appears that a lot of people are being locked out in the rather indiscriminate IP banning. [/SPAN]

Except that I can get off anywhere from three to five posts over there under almost any name I've used before, and then nothing will go through at all. So I'm thinking they are experimenting with some kind of anti-hammering (which [SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic"]would[/SPAN] be of interest to them) or post timers or something in that realm. It's curious.
[/DIV]

I used several web proxies, tried some proxy chains, and tried some proxies off a list, anonymous and highly anonymous. I've also tried changing my IP by disabling and enabling my internet connection (thereby releasing and renewing my IP).

Have you been able to get through at all?

I've tried 12 times and have been totally unable to get through to make a post.

TehBorken

Just for kicks I went there and tried to post- it appeared to work but my post never showed up.

tmapj

TehBorken wrote:
Just for kicks I went there and tried to post- it appeared to work but my post never showed up.

Hmmm perhaps their banning people from other countries. Where are you from? Maybe I'll try posting from a Canadian proxy.

TehBorken

tmapj wrote:
Where are you from? Maybe I'll try posting from a Canadian proxy.
 I'm in WA State.