Asking for a raise

Started by Lise, Jul 31 08 05:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Has anyone ever asked for a raise? I have but it got kinda..... well, messy. At my previous workplace, it was really awkward even though it was stated in a verbal contract that they would give me something at end of a certain period.

So how does one go about asking for a raise so that the outcome is positive and not the other way around?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

Sorry, can't help you here.  (I write my own pay cheques)
 But best of luck to you, Lise!!!!

ADD: Maybe find an online salary survey, and find out what others in your field are making?...in order to backup your request?

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lise

So really.... how does LM asks LM for a raise?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

lol.  Steps to giving self a raise:
 1)  Check balance in business account.
 2)  Debit Shareholder Equity.
 3)  Write cheque.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sawdust

Steps to giving self a raise:
1)  Check [STRIKE]balance[/STRIKE] overdraft availability in business account.
2)  Debit Shareholder Equity.
3)  Write cheque.
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

Sawdust

Hey Lise, ask for a performance review. If nothing is forthcoming from that, ask when & how raises are determined.

What the heck are

[TABLE bgColor=#ffffdd border=1] [TBODY] [TR] [TD align=middle colSpan=2][SMALL]Anti-Spam Bot-Stopper
Please type the text below into this field[/SMALL][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD align=middle] [STYLE type=text/css]    TD.at_r1 (vertical-align:bottom;)    [/STYLE]  [TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0] [TBODY] [TR] [TD][/TD] [TD class=at_r1 rowSpan=2]mb[/TD] [TD][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD]chi[/TD] [TD]s[/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][/TD] [TD][INPUT size=10 value=chimbs name=sauce][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese.

49er

don't employees of the university get step raises per your union's MOU......maybe its different in Canada

purelife

I've never asked for a raise before.  I get one every year along with a bonus based on performance review.

This year, our company isn't doing so great with net income, 49% below budget which means I may have to get my old second job back!  :P

Lise

I don't think I can ask for a raise..... union contract or something like that. Kinda stupid but in a way, it's good as you don't have to go thru the process of begging for extra money.

I just wanted to know how to ask for a raise the right and positive way because you never know.
Bill Cosby.

Michel

purelife

Lise wrote:
I just wanted to know how to ask for a raise the right and positive way because you never know.

Sorry about that Lise... I didn't really answer your question earlier, I was just babbling.

But if I was asking for one, I would present to them what I have done so far for the company, what kind of positive feedback I've received and how I'm positively impacted xyz.   I would also present what everyone else is making in my position (after thorough investigation in your market).  

Gopher

Start off with asking about grievance procedures.
A fool's paradise is better than none.