Yes
3 (50%)
No
2 (33.3%)
Undecided
1 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Lise

I think it's a great idea to do this but I don't think it will work. I don't use water bottles as much but there are times when I just need to use one.

[FONT size=5]Vancouver councillor wants bottled-water ban[/FONT]

VANCOUVER -- A Vancouver city councillor wants to put a stop to bottled water being available in city facilities.

Coun. Tim Stevenson filed a notice of motion that is set to be dealt with at council's July 21 meeting.

In his motion, Stevenson cites a number of reason why bottled water should be banned within the city:

. Eighty per cent of waste from plastic bottles end up in landfills.

. The delivery of bottled water burns substantially more fossil fuel than tap water.

. The manufacture of plastic bottles generates 100 times the toxic emissions that are produced in the manufacturing of glass bottles.

. The removal of water for bottling sees the water is withdrawn from its source but not returned to its local ecosystem.

. Bottled water is not required to meet the same health standards as municipally provided water.

. The city has to pay several times more for bottled water than it does for tap water.

[A href="http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/story.html?id=b6601454-310e-4801-b274-b59af7868d49"]Read more[/A]

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Michel

Russ

Instead of filling up the books with more stupid and political grabbing headlines like this... they should 'gasp' implement PLASTIC recycling.. all forms of plastic waste could be reused for plastic bags and coke six pack thingys etc.

I agree with micheal.. they are essential in third world countries. I will be using them again in a weeks time.

Maybe they should think about what their laws entail before they pass them? The three minute idling law, or the no drive throughs ring any bells?
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Michel

Lil Me

Gimme a break.  It's another quasi-enviro ploy as we head into the next election.

Just remember, this is the same City that encourages its residents to have a 48hr Earthquake Kit....containing....uh....bottled water.

I certainly agree that we over-use plastic bottles, but an outright ban is ridiculous.

I've cut way down on my bottled water consumption.  I fill up the Nalgene cancer bottle before going out, but I still have a case of water in back of the car.

I still can't believe there are places in North America that don't receycle beverage containers....NV is one of them.  The garbage cans in Vegas are overflowing with beer and water bottles.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Michel

Sportsdude

Well in any case, BC is far ahead of the STL area. We've got a bigger population yet, BC was the first time I'd ever seen somebody recycle cardboard. We're always the last to adapt or change down here so that really didn't surprise me. Thought it was cool.

We recycle paper throught this school programme in Missouri. Each school has a dumpster where you put your paper in it from the house, the money that is made off of it goes directly to the school. Only way schools can keep the school up in running, since the general population votes No on property tax increases and the schools lose funding. Then they yell, throw stuff, and threaten to beat up teachers at Parent Teacher conferences.    
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Michel

Sportsdude

woah! Nanaimo ahead of Vancouver??! No way!

We have a separate dumster for carboard in Nanaimo. Could it be? Could it be? lol

3 dumsters

1- cans, glass, plastics

2- carboard

3- misc.
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Michel

Russ

Michel wrote:

???????????????

Im in the dark here?lol

Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Michel