Marmite Appreciation

Started by Lil Me, Jul 09 08 09:22

Previous topic - Next topic

Russ

P.C. wrote:
 I haven't tried it either....but it sounds very much like Maggi, except Maggi is a liquid, not a paste.  I like Maggi on a tomato sammy with sliver thin slices of raw onion.....DELISH.  If Marmit is anything like this, I would probably like it.

[/DIV]
 Havent tried em either.. but I use Maggi. I started using this in africa as its all over everywhere there. Its good on salad.. add some olive oil and then splatter this on it.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Gopher

Marmite is quite unlike anything else, and the remark about its addictive quality (as mentioned in Lil Me's account) is quite correct. It's also extremely divisive, you either love it or hate it.  
A fool's paradise is better than none.

purelife

I found a small jar of marmite last night in the cupboards.  I think it's about 2 years old.  I tried it and I'm still alive. :)  Tastes fine to me, actually, better than I had imagined.

P.C.

I think it's one of those things that would last forever.  Might be a good thing for the earthquake kit.  hmmmm
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Russ

P.C. wrote:
 I think it's one of those things that would last forever.  Might be a good thing for the earthquake kit.  hmmmm[/DIV]
   Sweet! Marmite and Cockroaches...
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

purelife

Well, marmite's first ingredient is yeast which is similiar to beer.

Gopher

I've just put some in a chilli, it definitely enhanced the flavour.

Lise

Maybe the more it ages, the more finer it becomes - like wine.

[img style="WIDTH: 266px; HEIGHT: 298px" height=541 src="http://i34.tinypic.com/2qx6ja1.jpg" width=403]
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

Marmite is a food group.
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Gopher

purelife

I had some marmite with brie.  very yummeeee....

Michel

purelife

Are you talking about marmite, Michel?

It's more of a spread.  A bit thicker than butter, I think.  First ingredient is yeast extract.  

A little jar in Superstore is a bit over $4.  It's kinda expensive.

There's also vegemite.  I'm not sure what the differences of the two are.

Michel

Lil Me

Miche, you simply MUST try Marmite.  It's next to the peanut butter at the StupidStore.    
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

|