UBC invents helmet that prevents spine injuries

Started by Sportsdude, Jun 25 08 01:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

UBC researchers believe new helmet could prevent spine injuries

A typical bike helmet can absorb a head-first impact, but when the cyclist’s head stops, the body keeps moving, and that can fracture the spine. Researchers claim the prototype helmet unveiled Tuesday can dissipate up to 56 per cent of the impact.

According to a UBC news release, a head-first impact in sports can load the neck with as much force as the weight of more than five people.  The UBC helmet has two shells: the outer shell takes the impact, and the inner shell rotates to dissipate the direct impact to the cervical spine. The cervical spine is the weakest part of the back, and the UBC team is hopeful protecting it will prevent most neck compressions and fractures.[/p]  Peter Clipton, a Mechanical Engineer on the research team at the UBC Injury Biomechanics Laboratory, said the technology could help prevent injury in a number of sports.[/p]  "Everything from equestrian to football, to hockey, to mountain biking, snowboarding, motorcycling, and so on, are areas where we think potentially this helmet can help," said Clipton.[/p][a href="http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/080624/canada/canada_bc_neck_protecting_helmet"]http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/cbc/080624/canada/canada_bc_neck_protecting_helmet[/a]

----

Wow, this is awesome. If this works, which I hope it does, this literally could change the world as we know it. Think about it. wow I'm speechless. This is awesome.

[/p]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lil Me

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lil Me

How about a pet carrier so the cat can go for a ride?

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

Cats usually aren't down with 'rides'.  

P.C.

My old kitty used to love going for a ride.  My son would drape him around his neck like a scarf, and go for some good rides on his bike.  He loved it.  (mind you, he was a bit of a different sort....as far as cats go)
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

Hmm did he have a personality like a dog? My sister's friend's cat is basically a dog stuck in a cat body. lol