George Carlin died

Started by Sportsdude, Jun 22 08 10:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

Just when he was about to be honoured the Mark Twain prize for humour.

[a href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25322638/"]   http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25322638/[/a]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lil Me

RIP Funnyman.

[a title="Click for further information about this quotation" href="http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/284.html"]Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.[/a]
 -George Carlin

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Michel

P.C.

Awww.  He was a great comedian.....especially in his earlier years.  (Michel, I think you might be thinking of Robin Williams ?)  

This is the George Carlin as his funniest stage.  He was a very visual comedian and could crack me up just on his facial expressions alone.

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

Michel

P.C.

I think one of his funniest routines.....and there were many, was "A place for my Stuff", but probably his most recognized skit was on the Seven Filthy Words or Seven words you can't say on television.

He was the first host of Saturday Night Live.  You might also recognize "The Hippy Dippy Weatherman".

One of George Carlins observations :  [SPAN class=body][FONT face=Verdana size=2]If God had intended us not to masturbate he would've made our arms shorter.[/FONT][/SPAN]

He has also been credited with the more philisophical quote (along with a couple others)  ......Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.    

Michel

Russ

Dont think I ever really watched him.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lil Me

He was in the Bill & Ted movies.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Van

I liked his humour. My dad was a bigtime fan. He was the same generation. Crazy 60s rebels, gone mainstream by the 80s.

Add: What I respected most about him was he refused to be a yuppie sellout for the Ed Sullivan show. They pleaded with him to get a haircut and wear 'proper' clothes. He refused and wore tattered jeans and grew his hair even longer. Ed Sullivan slowly realized that people still loved Carlin for who he was.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Michel

Lise

Took a while but I remember him from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventures. Remember him as Rufus?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

They played some great old clips of him last night.  His expressions were hilarious.  His comedy was always on the edge......well....obviously some of it was over the edge.  Apparently he appeared on the Johnny Carson show something like 135 times.  

I recently discovered that another comedian I really liked is also no longer alive.....and hasn't been for a few years.  I had no idea.  Not as big a name as George Carlin, but a funny guy.  Mitch Hedberg.  I used to see him on the comedy network....and decided to google him.  I was curious about him, because I had always thought he looked like he was doing his routine with his eyes closed (behind his sunglasses)....and sure enough he was.....but also discovered he died in 2005.

Van

Lise wrote:

Took a while but I remember him from Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventures. Remember him as Rufus? [/DIV]
 I forgot he was in these shows.

If you get a chance, Youtube some of his early 70s material. It is a shame he did the Bill and Ted movies because that is what a lot of people will know him for.

On a side note, look at Keannu Reeves (sp?) eyes. I wish I was half that happy at the best of times!
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!