Common

Started by Gopher, Jun 21 08 11:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Gopher

What exactly is meant by the term 'common' when it expresses disapproval. I've heard several things referred to as being this but as far as I could see they were anything but common (in incidence).
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

8.coarse; vulgar: [span class="ital-inline"]common manners.
[a href="http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/common"]http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/common[/a]

Hmmm I've never heard this phrase before. Common manners interesting.
I'm confused as well.
[/span]  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lil Me

I think it denotes a lack of exclusivity.
 It's a British expression?

example: "Well.  I shan't be buying clothing from Sears.  As if!  That's so common."

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Gopher

I think it's British. A couple of things I heard and which I found really funny were the facts that a) wearing diamonds in the daytime and b) eating in the street were both considered  to be 'common'. Can anyone think of possible examples we could add to these?        

Lil Me

hmmm Goph...from those examples of behaviour, it sounds like "common" means ignorant or ill-bred.
 This must include me, as I'm very guilty of #2.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Gopher

Lil Me

No diamonds in the daytime for you, Goph?  

Gopher

Nor nightime either, same for you Lil Me?

Lil Me

Yup.  I have one diamond ring, but it sits at home because I don't usually wear rings.  

Gopher

Wow! That's really refined!

Lil Me

Yeah, the rings get all messed up from the taco sauce which drips on my hands while I eat lunch on the street.  

Gopher

Stop making me laugh. I'm sure it's common.

Michel

P.C.

I've always thought of it as a derogatory 'class distinction'.  As in...the 'common folk'.....generally used by 'the elite' (or snobs)  Ill bred is as close to the term as I understand it.  

I'm a non-diamond person too.  I have one, but wear it rarely.  Same reason as Lil Me......well......that, and it's a little tight.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/liebe/g038.gif" border=0]      
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

So if you're enlisted to sit throug the House of Commons, that's an insult???
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.