Daily phone calls from Mother-in-law

Started by stretchedout, Apr 30 08 08:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Van

talking to your mom 6 times a day total if she calls 3 times too??

I guess she is a long ways away in the US midwest..still? I think bowel movements would be the only topic of conversation since there probably isn't much else you could get done in between?
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

stretchedout

P.C. wrote:
 I can imagine daily calls would put one into 'robo' mode.  Would she ever ask her to not call so often?  

nope

C'mon, the city is sleeping!

P.C.

Does it bother her ? .......or is it just annoying for you.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

purelife

Woah, BM's and phone calls... interesting.

That sounds like a very balanced meal planning you have there stretched.

I rarely call my mom.  I'd only call to say "Mom - I'm coming over for dinner tonight, k?!"  It's not really a question, it's more of "I'm showing up no matter what!!"  LOL

I prefer to visit her instead and talk then.

Mr PL doesn't call his mom all that often too.  Maybe 3 times a month or so.  

stretchedout

P.C. wrote:
 Does it bother her ? .......or is it just annoying for you.

-------------------------

Both, especially when it is always at dinner time.  As a couple you only have a couple of hours together per day.  And when friends call and Mothers, there is only minutes per day.  I turned off the tv yesterday so we could talk before phone calls dominated the evening.  It is true what they say - married men are more lonely than single men.    

P.C.

I would definitely take it up with her.  There has to be a kind and gentle way of doing it.  I think I would just unplug the phone between 5 and 8....or..whenever 'couple time' is.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

stretchedout

P.C. wrote:
 I would definitely take it up with her.  There has to be a kind and gentle way of doing it.  I think I would just unplug the phone between 5 and 8....or..whenever 'couple time' is.   -------------------------------

I've unplugged the phone, but only when my lady is sleeping.

purelife

Introduce her to emails and snail mail. ;)

So that you two could get some...

[FONT size=2]shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview
[/FONT] [TABLE bgColor=#ffffdd border=1] [TBODY] [TR] [TD align=middle colSpan=2][SMALL]Anti-Spam Bot-Stopper
Please type the text below into this field[/SMALL][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD align=middle] [STYLE type=text/css]    TD.at_r1 (vertical-align:bottom;)    [/STYLE]  [TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0] [TBODY] [TR] [TD][/TD] [TD class=at_r1 rowSpan=2]se[/TD] [TD][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD]hot[/TD] [TD]x[/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][/TD] [TD][INPUT type=hidden value=a77f6bec5a419c11493e4a0c3a354ab2 name=sauce_check][INPUT size=10 name=sauce][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][INPUT accessKey=s onclick="return scheck(); return submitThisOnce(this);" tabIndex=3 type=submit value=Post name=post] [INPUT accessKey=p onclick="return (typeof(document.postmodify.attachmentPreview) == "undefined" || !document.postmodify.attachmentPreview.value || confirm('You will have to reattach any attachments, continue with preview?')) && submitThisOnce(this);" tabIndex=4 type=submit value=Preview name=preview][img id=fetchSessionTemp alt="" src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/Themes/default/images/blank.gif"]

stretchedout

purelife wrote:
 Introduce her to emails and snail mail. ;)

So that you two could get some...

[FONT size=2]shortcuts: hit alt+s to submit/post or alt+p to preview
[/FONT] [TABLE bgColor=#ffffdd border=1] [TBODY] [TR] [TD align=middle colSpan=2][SMALL]Anti-Spam Bot-Stopper
Please type the text below into this field[/SMALL][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD align=middle] [STYLE type=text/css]    TD.at_r1 (vertical-align:bottom;)    [/STYLE]     [TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0] [TBODY] [TR] [TD][/TD] [TD class=at_r1 rowSpan=2]se[/TD] [TD][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD]hot[/TD] [TD]x[/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][/TD] [TD][INPUT type=hidden value=a77f6bec5a419c11493e4a0c3a354ab2 name=sauce_check][INPUT size=10 name=sauce][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][INPUT accessKey=s onclick="return scheck(); return submitThisOnce(this);" tabIndex=3 type=submit value=Post name=post] [INPUT accessKey=p onclick="return (typeof(document.postmodify.attachmentPreview) == " tabIndex=4 type=submit value=Preview name=preview submitThisOnce(this);? && preview?')) with continue attachments, any reattach to have will confirm('You || !document.postmodify.attachmentPreview.value undefined?][img id=fetchSessionTemp alt="" src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/Themes/default/images/blank.gif"] [/DIV]
 E-mails from the mum can't happen if the dad is always on the computer.  Oh, and he's convinced her to not drive anymore.  But she used to take the one hour drive to see us.  

Van

Just a note. Having my mom use emails these days are a mixed blessing.

Sure, it is easy to keep in touch...but some of the jokes she sends are horrible!
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Sportsdude

She calls everyday. I only call when I'm bored or I've driven somewhere cool or saw something interesting (life in the midwest is pretty boring), but half the time she never has her phone with her so it's sort of a lost cause. So it depends some days its more then others.

Its basically a habit now, due to the begining of the year she'd call me all the time which got annoying.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

It'sAllAboutSD

Lise

If she has a good relationship with her mother, I don't see what's the big deal. Personally I would love it if my girls would call me that much in a day just to talk to me. I don't think it would happen as they'll have their own lives to live but I can always wish.

I call my parents at least 3 to 4 times a week and we always go online. I find it's a great time to re-connect and catch up.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

I have no problem with frequent phone calls from anyone (including my mother!) if the caller has SOMETHING TO SAY.  It bugs me to no end when peeps just call "to chat".

My mother calls me probably every other day, which is too frequently in my mind--as she wants to chat and find out "what's going on". I either don't answer the phone or I keep the conversation as brief as possible.

If I'm going to phone someone, there is a reason for the call (ie a question, a congratulation, a Happy BDay, a let's meet for dinner...) not an openended blather session.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

purelife

Lil Me wrote:
I have no problem with frequent phone calls from anyone (including my mother!) if the caller has SOMETHING TO SAY.  It bugs me to no end when peeps just call "to chat".

If I'm going to phone someone, there is a reason for the call (ie a question, a congratulation, a Happy BDay, a let's meet for dinner...) not an openended blather session.
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]I guess you prefer to chit chat in person then?

|