Daily phone calls from Mother-in-law

Started by stretchedout, Apr 30 08 08:10

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

I have no problem with frequent phone calls from anyone (including my mother!) if the caller has SOMETHING TO SAY.

Hahahahaaaa.  I hear ya.  I have a friend who calls, and I have to COAX a conversation in around all the dead air.  Drives me nuts.  Sometimes I have to remind her that she called me.  Yet in person, the chit chat flows easy.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Van

Oh for sure! Everyone who loves their parents should be happy to hear their voice. There comes a day when you won't have that option. It is nice to have stuff to talk about to besides the weather.
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

purelife

Wait till your mother becomes a grandparent!

Van

Yes, I guess once you have kids, you would never run out of stuff to chat about.  
When the End comes, don't worry if your party shoes are clean or not. Just make sure you have them on!

Lise

Hey, life is too short. I love a call from my mamma or papa anytime. It doesn't have to be a reason. It's one of those things that remind me that they still love and care about me.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

Lise wrote:
Hey, life is too short. I love a call from my mamma or papa anytime. It doesn't have to be a reason.
 --

Let me give my mother your phone number!  She can phone you and ask you for your daily update.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

zen monk

[h1 style="margin: 0pt; font-size: 12px;"][font style="font-family: Arial Narrow;" size="3"][span style="font-weight: normal;"]"When my dad divorced my mom it was kind of like him leaving me also. I just really didn't understand why he wasn't returning my phone calls, or why I couldn't see him whenever I wanted to. That was the most hurtful thing to me." - Nicole Richie[/span][/font]
[/h1]  

P.C.

Hey, life is too short. I love a call from my mamma or papa anytime. It doesn't have to be a reason. It's one of those things that remind me that they still love and care about me.

That's true Lise.....any time is good....but every day?  I can see that wearing thin real quick.  Having said that, I wished I had called my mom more when she was here.  Then again having said THAT....I just can't imagine talking on the phone every day to anyone.[/DIV]

P.C.

Let me give my mother your phone number!  She can phone you and ask you for your daily update.

LOL  

Lil Me

Back to the original post by stretchedout...

I think one's relationship with one's spouse needs to come first.  stretchedout is bugged by the amount of time his wife spends talking to her mother each night, and that is as issue that they should address.

Stretchedout...keep us posted on this, will ya?

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

99.8% of my calls are pointless (except when this one friend wants to do something). Last night, my cousin calls, its 1:30am his time, he's bored out in the fields plowing away and is the only one out working as well, so he calls just because. lol

I actually like the pointless calls.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

stretchedout

Lil Me wrote:
Back to the original post by stretchedout...

I think one's relationship with one's spouse needs to come first.  stretchedout is bugged by the amount of time his wife spends talking to her mother each night, and that is as issue that they should address.

Stretchedout...keep us posted on this, will ya?

------------------------------------------

It is more about the frequency than the amount of time.  Sometimes the calls are brief, like when we have just sat down to eat.  But other times, like in the mornings lately, they are too long, causing the wife to not walk the dog, not eat breakfast and not have time to get a lunch together!

Now I'm thinking about the poor saps I see all the time walking with a chick who is talking on the phone.  Rule number one when with your boyfriend girls, TURN OFF YOUR GODDAMNED CELL PHONE!  How is it these guys put up with it?

C'mon, the city is sleeping!

van_guy

It is more about the frequency than the amount of time.  Sometimes the calls are brief, like when we have just sat down to eat.  But other times, like in the mornings lately, they are too long, causing the wife to not walk the dog, not eat breakfast and not have time to get a lunch together! Now I'm thinking about the poor saps I see all the time walking with a chick who is talking on the phone.  Rule number one when with your boyfriend girls, TURN OFF YOUR GODDAMNED CELL PHONE!  How is it these guys put up with it?[/p]
[/p]Crikey.  Stretchedout is sounding stretchedthin ... I'm hoping you have voiced this to your lovely wife in these terms.  I'm feeling a bit better about my nosey once in the monrning MILaw calls.

Amen to the cell phone thing.  I think cell phones are changing our society ... and not for the better.  I used to have to pack one for work - I remember the sense of calm and deep satisfaction I had when I was somewhere out of cell phone range.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

stretchedout

And now all these people with blackberrys(ies?).  Talk about a major electronic leash.  If you have a blackberry everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY!  expects you to return e-mails, texts or calls RIGHT AWAY.  Phuckit, I'm sticking to a cell and starting to turn it off except when I'm expecting a call or away from the wife!  YIKES, I have an electronic leash too.  That's okay, people don't expect me to answer it; I have them trained.  I've started another thread about the cell phone issue.  
C'mon, the city is sleeping!

|