Don't touch that soft drink!!

Started by Lise, Feb 02 08 07:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

See? Another good reason why you shouldn't reach for that pop!!!

Soft drinks related to gout, Vancouver research shows

Men who drink sodas and other sugary soft drinks are more likely to develop a painful joint condition called gout, according to a new long-term study conducted by a Vancouver-based researcher.

The 12-year study of more than 46,000 dentists, pharmacists and veterinarians in the United States and Canada found that as men increased their pop intake, their odds of getting the painful swelling condition spiked.

Dr. Hyon Choi, a rheumatologist and gout expert at the University of British Columbia was the lead author of the study, published today in the British Medical Journal.

[A href="http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=ce402dd2-a1a3-4036-bb26-d1982d64d780&k=75025"]Read more[/A]

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

We shouldn't eat anything.  Given enough time, doctors and scientists will discover that everything will kill you.

Oh yea...and don't breathe either.  They have just released a study that says, although for different reasons, country air is no better than city air.

[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/frech/p015.gif" border=0]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lil Me

ummmm.....why were vetrenarians studying the correlation between soda intake and gout?????  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Gopher

A fool's paradise is better than none.

P.C.

ummmm.....why were vetrenarians studying the correlation between soda intake and gout?????

LOL....that one got by me.  Dentists, pharmacists and veterinarians ?  Seems like an unlikely bunch to be doing a study of such things....or were they the ones that the study was being conducted ON ?

Lise

P.C. wrote:
LOL....that one got by me.  Dentists, pharmacists and veterinarians ?  Seems like an unlikely bunch to be doing a study of such things....or were they the ones that the study was being conducted ON ? Well, I can't speak for the rest but dentists have an interest in soda pop because of the effect it has on teeth. As for the vets... maybe safer pop-version for doggies next time?

Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

Well, I can't speak for the rest but dentists have an interest in soda pop because of the effect it has on teeth. As for the vets... maybe safer pop-version for doggies next time?

No intent to insult to dentists, I swear. lol  I can see a dentist doing a study of the affects of soda pop on teeth...that makes perfect sense to me....but researching joint diseases ?  It would be like a podiatrist studying the affects of using Q-tips in your ears.[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/a035.gif" border=0]

Lil Me

teeth are related to joints and bones?  Sorta?  Maybe....

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Lise

Actually the field of dentistry especially those doing research isn't just restricted to teeth. A lot of ppl don't know this but dentists must see beyond teeth and gums. There's a lot that relates to teeth and various parts of the body. A dentist is afterall a medical doctor who specializes in teeth/gums. Quite a number of dentists/researchers are interested in bones and what not because it relates to teeth. If we can learn about bones, we can learn on how to improve the quality of our teeth and the dental materials that will go into aiding growth and repair.

Dentists also study bones for bone and tissue grafts. For example, if you lose parts of your bones on your gums, you can actually re-grow them using your own bones (from hips) and bovine bones.

Damn... I swore I wouldn't learn anything from those damn lectures......OK. I go back to zzzz-land for now.  
Bill Cosby.

49er

Lise wrote:
....... A dentist is afterall a medical doctor who specializes in teeth/gums. .........  

No way!  Maybe in Canada.  A medical doctor in the states completes 4 years of medical school, a year of internship and a year of residency in a specialty.  I have not heard of a residency for dentistry.

Calling a dentist a medical doctor is like calling a psychologist one too

Lise

Seriously, they are medical doctors. They spend one to two year with medical students before going into their specialized field. Believe it or not, they do have a medical degree attached. I know we don't see it but they are. Dental students actually spent four years (and more if they want to specialized) in university.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

I think it's the same here 49er.  The entry-level professional degree in Canada for the practice of medicine is that of Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery.  This degree requires between four and six years of study and clinical training, and is equivalent to the North American MD.

Dentistry requires 3 to 4 years, (which doesn't make them less of a professional).  It's simply a matter of the specialty in which they study....no different than expecting a heart surgeon to do dentistry.  They could tack on another 6 years of study in their field, and it will never make them a dentist.  Nor will a dentists training make them a medical doctor.

49er

A medical doctor here in the states has to graduate with a bachelors degree before being accepted in medical school.  He receives his Doctor of Medicine degree after graduating from medical school.  Dentists are accepted in school of dentistry after graduating with bachelors degrees also.