Moment of Truth

Started by P.C., Jan 21 08 08:00

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

Are there no limits to how low someone will sink to win a few bucks?  I find this show no less offensive than filming the activity at a line of bathroom stalls with glass doors.

Contestants hooked up to a lie detector will face such questions on Fox's The Moment of Truth, a game show so controversial that a Colombian version was shelved after a woman there revealed she put a hit out on her husband. The real question is: Just how far will the American edition go?

...and yet this woman still walked away with $25,000.

"We're not out to destroy somebody," says executive producer and creator Howard Schultz. "I don't think there's any joy in watching someone crumble under the lights. So, typically, the people that we cast to be contestants are stronger people. They have good self-esteem and a strong sense of themselves."

Strong people with good self-esteem and a strong sense of themselves don't go on national television to answer questions about whether they are repulsed by fat people, if they ever force themselves to throw up or if they think their spouse might be gay.

Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

it's typical fox. Which is really funny because fox news which is run by fox, is the complete 180 of fox broadcasting. Then again, Rupert Murdoch is this supposedly super far right wing/hates workers rights media mogul who when takes over a newspaper, turns it into a smut fest (page 3 girls) etc.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

"We're not out to destroy somebody," says executive producer and creator Howard Schultz. "I don't think there's any joy in watching someone crumble under the lights.

Yeah right.  Like asking a question such as...If you could cheat on your spouse knowing you wouldn't get caught...would you?  

Michel

P.C.

No kidding Michel.

And I would not want my inner thoughts to be judged by a machine.  I'm the type whose heart jumps in my throat when a cop passes me.  Even if I'm 5 klicks under the limit, I get this guilt thing.  If a polygraph measures breathing patterns and heart rate etc, I'd fail  miserably.

Lil Me

What a totally weird concept for a show.

I'm guessing that some viewers enjoy watching this because it alleviates feelings of guilt in their own lives?!
 (ie seeing other people doing the same thing makes it "ok")

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Sportsdude

nah lil me, i think the people that watch this sh*t just to laugh at the people. Its like high school and somebody falls down the stairs, the crowd starts laughing, sort of thing.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."