Dealing with Office Politics

Started by Lise, Nov 22 07 07:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

[SPAN class=spnMessageText id=msg][FONT face=Verdana color=#191970 size=2]I'm wondering if someone can give me suggestions on how to deal with office politics? I'm fairly new to this concept, I've never worked in a workplace that had so many people before and it's quite amazing to see people acting so childish and stupid at times. [img style="CURSOR: default" onclick=doimage(this,event) src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/frech/h035.gif" border=0 name=img]

I don't know why some ppl seem to think like they're gods sent down to earth to instruct you on how to wear your bra or how stack papers(!!!!!!!) one way. Or the fact that some of them like to kiss your supervisor's ass right in front of you.

How do you folks deal with office politics? Is there some way where you can make your office environment less confrontational? I don't want to sound like a whiner but it seems that no matter where I turn to there is always something there to make my life hell.

I don't want to quit because it's a good job with good pay and the benefits are excellent but working with these ppl makes working with lions seem tame!

Sometimes I feel like this...... [img style="CURSOR: default" onclick=doimage(this,event) src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/midi/boese/a078.gif" border=0 name=img]

Any advice would be appreciated! [/FONT]
[/SPAN]
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Lil Me

I try to see the good in everyone.

And I avoid certain situations and certain people :)

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

purelife

At my office, I feel the vibes here and know who's the goody goody and the a** kisser to the Managers/Supervisors.  I have one person in my team that I vent to and we vent wtih each other.  I trust her.  After work, I don't think about work and leave it at work.  I found that it really helps to have someone that you trust to talk to.  I have learned that you never mention anything to your superiors about any of your peers.  They don't want to hear it.  

So, right now, I just do my job and I love my company and some of the people I work with.  I don't confront people or tell them how they should be doing things.  I like to remain as neutral as possible.

Hang in there Lise.  All jobs have office politics, no matter what size the office is and what industry.  Always carry a smile and that should help you get through your day.  And keep work and your personal life seperate.  I do this and it works for me, and maybe for you too.

HUGZ

Gopher

Very true, ALL jobs have office politics attached to them - one of the more unpleasant aspects of working life, and it really IS hard not to get involved. On an allied subject, has anyone noticed the increasing amount of  unnecessary internal paperwork these days? My days are more and more taken up in reading  reams of irrelevant advice and information - this, it seems, has to take precedence of over doing anything which is either useful or productive and gives more evidence of the letter killing the spirit: although it could just be that my priorities are totally at variance to those of my employers.      
A fool's paradise is better than none.

guesser

My guess is that if you remain unbearably nice, nobody will have anything bad to say to you or about you.  And if it happens that you're not nice by nature, fake it.

Lise

Some really good advice there. Thanks. I know that I should separate what goes on at work and personal life. I don't really need the drama.... but sometimes it just bugs the hell outta me that some people would make a big deal out of nothing.

Thanks for the words of wisdom there, guys!! *kisses*
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.