Anyone know anything about Satellite radio?

Started by fletcher, Nov 27 07 06:13

Previous topic - Next topic

fletcher

Thinking of buying one for my better half for a gift.  I don't know anything about them only that he would like to listen to hockey games in the car. Or some other entertainment while driving.  He commutes everyday to downtown Vancouver about a 45 minute drive (he needs his car for work).  I would like it if he could somehow use the same radio in the house but don't know if that is possible.  Any pros and cons?  Recommendations?

Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks.    

P.C.

All I know about them is from our friend who has it....and he says they don't work as well in the city as they do 'in the country'. (???)
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

I had it for 4 years, had to stop when i moved. Miss listening to underground indie bands. Used to know the bands for about 5 months before everyone else. that was awesome.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

You can use the same radio in the house as well as the car. You use a jack into your house stereo from the sat radio. Make sure you specify what you want to use it for and to get all the paraphenelia all at once when you buy it.. cheaper.

My buddy does this.. I was thinking about one but theres no satellite roaming over africa that would work for this.

I would highly recommend it to be honest.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

fletcher

Thanks. I think he would like it but it is all confusing to me.  Would you have to buy a portable radio, too, if you wanted to walk (for exercise) and listen to satellite radio?  So that would be one for the car, a receiver or jack for the stereo in the house (which we don't have 'gasp'. We have an iPod and an iPod sound dock.) and a portable satellite radio as well?  Hmmm.  I wonder what all that would cost?  It apparently costs $$14.99/mo for the subscription and $9.99/mo for a receiver in the house.  This portable radio might cost even more per month.  So, I don't know about going that far.

Thanks again.

Lil Me

Hi fletcher!  Welcome aboard!  I don't know sh*t about satellite radio, but please register on DS!  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

stretchedout

Buy a portable unit and a car adapter - a few hundred bucks.  But it is worth it!  Or get a Sony Walkman II cell phone which comes with a 1GB card and takes a 4GB card for a ton of mp3 files - probably 1300 songs.  That's probably more songs than on ROCK 101's playlist!  
C'mon, the city is sleeping!