Washing Machine Help

Started by Lil Me, Nov 05 07 12:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Lil Me

The agitator is loose, and it literally detaches itself and floats on top of the water.  I've weighted it down with a heavy bucket, but that's a cumbersome (and hopefully temprary) solution!

Any suggestions?  Mr LM is on a secret ops mission and won't be home for at least another week.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

[DIV class=fintl]Lil Me.....I wonder if the rubber washer that is under the bolt that holds the agitater in place has worn away.  The rubber washer is what stops it from backing off when it twists....undoing itself ? Maybe ?[/DIV]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lil Me

Thanks, P.C.  I think you're right!  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

purelife

I found this article for you.  Not sure if it's much help.....

[p align="left"][font size="-1"]The agitator is fastened to the agitator                  shaft and its movement is driven either by splines or a simple clutch assembly. The splines                  are usually plastic or rubber nubs on a cylinder that fits over the agitator                  shaft. If the nubs wear down, the shaft will  not  turn                  properly or it will turn weakly. If the agitator is moving in                  only one direction, the likely cause is the clutch assembly. The                  clutch has dogs that depress and pop up with each turn. If those                  dogs are worn, they will not engage properly and the agitator                  will  turn only in one direction.[/font][/p]                              [font size="-1"]Beneath the cap some agitators are secured in                  place by a bolt. Use a socket wrench with an extension to remove                  that bolt. Some Maytags may have a screw near to the bottom of                  the agitator post that must be removed. Now try to lift the agitator                  straight up, possibly with a little back and forth rocking motion.                  Use caution when pulling, the agitator may come loose suddenly                  and hit you in the face or send you flying backward.
[/font][/p][font size="-1"]http://www.acmehowto.com/howto/appliance/washer/check/agitator.php[/font][/p][font size="-1"]
[/font][/p]

Lil Me

purelife

Yikes.  What a messy copy and paste.  Sorry about that.  

Lil Me

Haven't tackled the washer yet, but the dryer is working better...

Pulled out a lint ball the size of a cat from the back of the outtake hose.

Russ

I honestly dont know what you are talking about here with the agitator.. Im confused... sorry.

I have an LG front end loader so Im no use with this I think.    
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims