Power Smart

Started by P.C., Oct 29 07 07:49

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

In the last couple years, we have replaced 3 of 5 of our major appliances to Power Smart appliances.  Got rid of an additional old fridge that used to hold 'extras' on the deck......switched off the hot tub and changed about half our light bulbs to the compact florecent bulbs, and have never noticed a nickels difference in our hydro bill.

Has anybody noticed any significant changes ?
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

P.C.

Well, even allowing for the constant rise in the rates, you'd think that the changes would offset the increases and the bill would remain somewhat the same.  Ours however, does not reflect this at all.  It's gone up and up and up the same as some who have made no changes.

[img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c003.gif" border=0]

Michel

[em]  
[/em]

P.C.

That's true Michel.  I still think the increases are excessive considering.

They have that commercial about the fluorescent lights, saying by changing one bulb, you can save as much as $30.  They didn't mention how many decades it would take to realize this saving.....lol

Michel

Lil Me

We quit using the compact florescents because they aren't compatible with the types of lights we have (everything has a dimmer, a sconce, or a cover of some kind) and they were not lasting.

But....the "common areas" of my complex switched over to compact florescents in the wall lights and LED bulbs in the exit signs.  They all stay on 24/7, so we are seeing some energy savings there.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

weird al

I'm all for this "reduce, re-use, recycle"  jazz and I think it's the cat's ass!

We've always been a frugal family :)

My grandpa, Frankie was his name, always reminded us to take our glasses off if we weren't looking at anything -  seriously, he was the frugalest!

Michel

Michel

Sportsdude

Campbell's buying non renewable energy from Washington and Alberta. That's part of his "green" plan. What that does means higher hydro bills.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

My grandpa, Frankie was his name, always reminded us to take our glasses off if we weren't looking at anything -  seriously, he was the frugalest!

I second that LOL !

Nice to see you Mr Al.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/a194.gif" border=0][/DIV]

Russ

I agree with you there PC.. theres NO incentives to buy the newest power smart appliances and toys when you go to upgrade. The power bill goes up and you pay like 3-500 more for a super power efficient appliance.. with no rebates from the government which wants you to use less power.

The last few we bought reflected this. We bought cheap and proven.. not power efficient.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

I hear ya Russ.  I think it's all just sales hype.  

I believe the lightbulbs ARE cheaper to run.....but if there is supposed to be such a difference, why is this not reflected in the monthly hydro bill.