Healthy Snacks

Started by Lil Me, Oct 17 07 01:07

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

Our nutritionist actually say that a cup of popcorn (no butter, no salt) is actually great for snacks. Then again, it's like chewing paper cups without them flavors. No wonder she recommends it.

I like to keep a whole bunch of nuts handy. Peanuts, cashews... whatever in a jar so you can munch and crunch on them. I go for the dry roast or plain ones so they're not heavy in oil and fat.

I've been snacking like crazy during work time. It's insane. Coffee breaks are not meant for human consumption. I'm gonna pack on more weight at this rate! Waaaah!
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

purelife

Hey LM.

I've got one for you.

Raspberries (or blueberries) with rice pudding.  

Smoothies - mixed fruits with low fat yoghurt or ice cream with flax oil or wheat germ

Lil Me

Great ideas!  Do you mkae your own rice pudding or buy it?  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

purelife

I brought the kozy shack ones from Costco, Lil Me.  I did make tapoica pudding once, and it turned out great.  So easy to make (can't remember the recipe though...)

Lil Me

Oh, I've gotta check that out!  I like rice pudding.

Funny how people classify pudding in their minds as either "comfort food" or "sick food".
 Mr LM associates it with being sick.  It tastes to him like hospital food.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

Gopher

I hadn't eaten or even thought about popcorn for years until I kept coming across it on this thread - now there's a bag in front of me and I'm dipping into it non-stop.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

purelife

The only thing about rice pudding, Kozy Shack brand, is that it's kinda high in sugar content for a little cup...so I found that this with some raspberries (or whatever fruits you have) tastes better. :))

I also had a popcorn craving the other day and popped fresh popcorn... yummy!  It's so healthy too when you don't add the butter and salt.

Gopher

I've just checked the packet. I bought it because I thought it didn't have any salt in it - however it does. That's what you get for buying popcorn made in Ireland (of all places).

P.C.

I'm with Lise on this one.  Popcorn without SOMETHING is like chewing on paper cups.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

JJ

Purelife - I'd watch those date bars from Costco the glycemic index of dates is higher than white sugar.

van_guy

Red Bell Peppers (sweet and juicy)

Frozen Blueberries (wow)

but not at the same time
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

P.C.

Hey....welcome van guy.

So do you eat peppers like you would an apple?  I mean I like peppers, but usually IN things.

*love your avatar.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Gopher

Hey, I also eat peppers like I would an apple.

purelife

red peppers raw are so yummy....they're just so expensive right now though. :(

we brought a blender recently and my guy has gone wild making shakes.  omgsoyummy and healthy!

we put fresh raspberries, frozen mixed fruits, yoghurt, wee bit of maple sryup and milk.  blend all that up and have a healthy smoothie...

anything to get him to eat healthy!  LOL

van_guy

PC,

Thanks for the welcome.  Yeah I eat them like an apple but I prefer to have them sliced.  Recently I started eating the spicier Banana Peppers - I'm working my way up to jalapeno's.  The first page I went to on DS was the Bear Attack photo I was inspired.

VG
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness (Mark Twain)

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Note: this post will not display until it has been approved by a moderator.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:

A 3-legged stool has how many legs?:
What's the opposite of "left"?:
Is the equator round or square?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview