RESP

Started by purelife, Sep 25 07 02:03

Previous topic - Next topic

wyk

Sportsdude wrote:
thanks for the advice wyk, I've been trying to get a job within the geography department here. So far no luck.

[P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"][SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-language: EN-CA"]Yw, also do make use of your campus career centre ([A href="https://isweb.mala.bc.ca/CampusCareerCentre/main.asp?module=STUDENTS"]https://isweb.mala.bc.ca/CampusCareerCentre/main.asp?module=STUDENTS[/A]).[SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"]  O[/SPAN]nce you get your student work visa (have to wait until February to apply--need to be at your college at least six months preceding the date of your work permit application--the first day of the term is the day to start from--not the day you arrived in Canada) they'll be able to get you going for a summer job if that is what you're planning.[SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"]  [/SPAN]If you're planning to go back to Missouri and work for the summer, the work visa will really help when you return in September.[SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"]  [/SPAN][?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /][o:p][/o:p][/SPAN]

[P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"][SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-language: EN-CA"][o:p] [/o:p][/SPAN]

[P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"][SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-language: EN-CA"]I wonder if your international status might be why you're not getting a job within the departments, as they might be hiring Canadian citizens/approved permanent residents first even though you're eligible right now to work on-campus without a work permit.  If you're in real bad need of a job right now, the campus career centre can definitely help with that coz as long as the job is on campus you can get working anywhere just to get some money while you wait for the student work visa to be done.[SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"]  T[/SPAN]he job might not be pretty (i.e., working in the cafeteria, etc.), but heck, it is money.[SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"]  [/SPAN][/SPAN]

[P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"][SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-language: EN-CA"][SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"][/SPAN][/SPAN]

[P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"][SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-language: EN-CA"]Oh, before I forget if you do get an on-campus job and get paid before Dec. 31 this year, next year when the tax people come calling it can make things complicated as you will have to pay both the Canada and USA government taxes for the 2007 year, and there's a whole slew of paperwork.[SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"]   [/SPAN]As long as you do not work in the USA during your student visa time it'll be easier doing the tax thing in subsequent years, but even if you do it still gets easier as most of the paperwork will be already on file.[/SPAN]

[P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"][SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-language: EN-CA"][/SPAN]

[P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"][SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-language: EN-CA"][SPAN style="mso-bidi-font-size: 12.0pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-language: EN-CA"][SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes"]Okay, I've yabbered on enough.  I've spent too much time in the post-secondary system I'm busting with lots of advice. [/SPAN][/SPAN][/SPAN]

Sportsdude

yeah I know about the tax thing, the USA is like the herpes virus. Gift that keeps on giving. Except I've got a cure, but that's down the road a bit.

Can't do cafeteria work, culinary arts program does everything and makes fancy food and makes you pay an arm and a leg for it.

I'm in short supply of cash. But I'll be fine. I've got away to make some money but I'll find an on campus job.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

wyk

Sportsdude wrote:
...Can't do cafeteria work, culinary arts program does everything and makes fancy food and makes you pay an arm and a leg for it...

Really?  They clear the tables and wash the dishes too? Interesting, but a bummer too as campus food services is always a sure bet to get a student job.

Sportsdude

yeah. And then they fix viel and lamb for 10 bucks.  

Michel

Sportsdude

yeah they have sushi all the time, lamb, veil, etc.  

wyk

Sportsdude wrote:
yeah. And then they fix [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff40"]viel [/FONT]and lamb for 10 bucks.  
  Sportsdude wrote:
yeah they have sushi all the time, lamb, [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff40"]veil[/FONT], etc.

Do you mean veal (i.e., baby cow)?  Now that's fancy.  What do the animal activists on campus have to say about food from calves and lambs?

Sportsdude

yeah veal.
crazy i know.
dunno. nobody's said anything.
I never eat meat there anyway. End up getting a salad which still ends up 8 bucks (calculated by weight).

|