Practical economies

Started by Gopher, Aug 31 07 11:56

Previous topic - Next topic

lazy Marik

- steal (haha just kidding)
- hang out at Chapters on rainy days for hours on end if you want to read a book (and they don't have it at the library)
- go to a friend's house to eat / try to get to other peoples' parties
- get fast internet and download as many movies as possible to save on blockbuster rentals (same goes for music)
- use those store-brands instead of big name ones... they are usually decent
- barter!
- borrow stuff from your friends / neighbours
- buy used (especially cars!!)

always

Gopher

Grow your own vegetables. If you haven't got a garden go out in the countryside and pick as many edible fruits etc. as you can  (this not only saves money it's also a healthy and enjoyable poursuit)- freeze surplus for eating in the winter.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

P.C.

'Repurpose' old furniture.  Like an old dresser that no longer serves its function, can have the drawers removed....gut it....and put in some shelves (sometimes it even works that the wood in the drawers will work).  Repaint or stain it....voila....a bookshelf.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

JJ

When we bought our house I wanted trees in the yard, but I only bought trees that gave me fruits or nuts,  I have  apples, cherries, plums walnuts& a hazelnut.  Just a word of warning walnut trees take 10 years before they give nuts, I had to wait a long time! LOL

P.C.

Excellent solution JJ.  The beauty of trees....plus the bonus.  Let's face it....all trees are beautiful, so why not plant the ones that will supplement your food bill.

GORDY GAMBINO

Grow your own hydroponics and sell what you don't smoke.

Secondhand stuff is good but don't buy secondhand guns.

Always insist on getting paid for the work you do. Don't be suckered in.

One idiot i worked for argued with me so i put my steel caps on and went and confronted him and threatened to kick his head in. No result so i threatened to fill his front yard with asbestos blocking in his cars.

He paid me.
CAPO DI TUTTI CAPPI

P.C.

Why Gordie....you're full of good ideas.  You don't strike me as the thrifty type.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/c008.gif" border=0]

GORDY GAMBINO

I'm not. I spend money like water but concentrate on bringing it in!!!!   And i have heaps of scams to keep me going all totally legit mind you!   ;-))

Dirty deeds done dirt cheap!!!
CAPO DI TUTTI CAPPI

P.C.

AC/DC knows how to make things work.

I'm quite frugal, but know when to splurge for quality. (and sometimes just for fun....but I like to think my thriftiness in other areas allows me to splurge on some things.)

49er

JJ wrote:
When we bought our house I wanted trees in the yard, but I only bought trees that gave me fruits or nuts,  I have  apples, cherries, plums walnuts& a hazelnut.  Just a word of warning walnut trees take 10 years before they give nuts, I had to wait a long time! LOL I already have my hands full fighting the squirrels and birds from stealing and pecking the persimmons and pears on my few fruit trees and keeping the possums from rummaging thru my garbage.  No thanks!

JJ

So true 49er, the year my cat died the squirrels moved into the nut trees.   They get more nuts than I do, but they are fun to watch!

Lil Me

Maybe P.C. can give you each a bear to scare away the squirrels/possums.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

Now THERE'S a practical solution.  All I have to do now is catch a couple.....and then figure out transportation.  I wonder if Southwest Airlines will be offended if they are wearing fur.

Lil Me

Cabbage is more nutritious anc cheaper than lettuce.

For the lazy people like me, a BIG bag of pre-cut coleslaw is $3and something at Costco.  I'm using it for stirfry as well as salad.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein