B.C. Ferries to hike fares by up to 25 per cent

Started by Sportsdude, Sep 15 07 12:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

Student only applies to high schoolers. I've been told that countless of times at Horseshoe Bay (got in an arguement with them over that). Even showing my college i.d. card saying I was a student. I had to pay the 12 bucks.

emailed my MLA about this.

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Sportsdude

I know its not free I just don't understand the fares for that. It said free, which took me back a little.

P.C.

Let me correct myself..... more accurately....one fare covers both ways.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

P.C.

Also note that in B.C. children are no longer children after 11.....whereas in the states....the rate for children goes up to 18.

The rates for BC ferries classes students as under 19.

Sportsdude

ah okay. That's for the clarification, P.C. Didn't understand that part. But it makes sense you're sort of 'stuck' on the sunshine coast or bowen island. lol want to visit the sunshine coast.

P.C.

I adore the Sunshine Coast.  And also Saltspring Island.....10 minute ferry ride from Duncan (or maybe Chemanis ?)  Saltspring is my favourite.

Have you checked out the Dingy Dock pub SD?  You can only get there by boat.  Neat place....good food. (I think there's a water taxi that takes you there....haven't been for a while)

Sportsdude

Dingy Dock? Where's it at? Is it a beautiful location? Because I've been scouting places that would be great for the lady friend one of these days... (sooner then later)  

P.C.

[SPAN class=clsMainText]Protection Connection Ferry- downtown Nanaimo harbour boat basin diagonally across from the Harbour Park Mall on Front Street. Call the ferry at (250) 753-8244.[/SPAN]

[SPAN class=clsMainText][img]http://vancouverisland.kulshan.com/images/DINGHYDOCK.jpg" align=right]This prominent and well-known pub, with its distinct pale blue roof, floats leisurely in Nanaimo's harbour. Boats can easily tie up alongside the pub with a connecting walking pier to the shoreline of small, populated Protection Island. A visible landmark in the harbour, this popular pub and restaurant is a favourite among locals, tourists, and visiting yachtsmen.  Open May through to mid October, this energetic, nautically themed pub is packed during the busy summer months. Its popularity is due to the incredibly friendly atmosphere, good service and good food. Seafood and salads are a specialty along with regular pub fare, all moderately priced. A wide selection of beers and ales are available.  The only access to the pub is by boat. The Protection Connection ferry, moored in the downtown Nanaimo boat basin, ferries you across (a 10-minute ride) to the pub and Protection Island. The ferry runs daily, on the hour with the last ferry heading back to Nanaimo at 11 pm. With ample tie-up space, many arrive in their own motor- or paddle-powered boats. For visiting yachtsmen who have dropped anchor in the harbour, many arrive in their dinghies, hence the name of the pub. Shower facilities are available at the Dinghy Dock for boaters.  The pub offers one of the most spectacular views of Nanaimo's harbour and waterfront as well as views of its neighbouring island, Newcastle, a stone's throw away. This is definitely not the spot for quiet and solitude as it does get crowded and boisterous, but if looking for a fun time, this is a great destination.[/SPAN]

Sportsdude

Ah I've heard about that place! yeah that's a date place for sure.  

wyk

Sportsdude wrote:
Student only applies to high schoolers. I've been told that countless of times at Horseshoe Bay (got in an arguement with them over that). Even showing my college i.d. card saying I was a student. I had to pay the 12 bucks.

emailed my MLA about this.

Errrr, again what country is your passport from?  Until you are eligible to vote for a MLA they don't care about you.  Believe me, my friends who are not Canadian have done that sort of stuff, contacted their MLA and even MP when they had concerns about this or that, but once it was found out they were not even Canadian their concerns were discounted.  

When one sees "student fare" around here, it usually means K-12 students, not university or college.  If a student fare included university or college students it would say so.    

P.C.

Yes....good point wyk.  Not to mention those of us who ARE Canadian most often have our concerns discounted  .

I've been told that countless times at Horseshoe Bay..... And SD......You've only been on the ferry twice.  If you can't count to two......you need to start worrying.

|