Lease and law in BC

Started by Michel, Sep 05 07 10:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Michel

Anybody knows the law of BC concerning lease ?  If I break a one year lease, do I have to pay something and also how long should I give my notice before moving out ?

lol stupid bot.

Anybody's looking for
[table bgcolor="#ffffdd" border="1"][tbody][tr][td colspan="2" align="center"][small]Anti-Spam Bot-Stopper
    Please type the text below into this field[/small][/td][/tr]    [tr][td align="center"]     [table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"][tbody][tr][td]
[/td][td rowspan="2" class="at_r1"]se[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][td]mad[/td][td]x[/td][/tr][/tbody][/table][/td][td][input name="sauce_check" value="25028205979d66aec69d8c908489c9d5" type="hidden"][input name="sauce" size="10" type="text"][/td][/tr][/tbody][/table] by the way ?

P.C.

I think you are responsible to cover the payments due, to the extent of your lease.....unless you have an understanding landlord.  You may also offer to the landlord, to find a tenant to sub-lease or see out the remainder of your lease (at your expense for advertising or whatever is required)
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Michel

I think you are responsible to cover the payments due, [span style="text-decoration: underline; font-weight: bold;"]to the extent of your lease
[/span]
GRRR backward BC strike again, That would explain all the toxicomany here, oh well, if you can't beat them, join them, lets pursue artificial paradise in hope of forgetting...

*puff puff puff* I love my basement suite dude, everything is aallllll right... lol

P.C.

Well, at least discuss it with your landlord.  You never know.  He may have had to turn people away and would see no problem in placing a new tenant.  For the most part, all they are concerned about it not having an interuption in their payments.

This is a B.C. issue ?  I thought a lease was a lease, no matter where you are.

49er

leases are generally to protect the tenant.  

So the tenant gives notice and moves out and landlord keeps the deposit.  Its not worth for landlord to seek legal action to recover rent in remaing term of lease.  Its more beneficial to use the time of the last month rent or security deposit to find another tenant  

P.C.

[H2] [/H2] And remember you MUST notify the landlord IN WRITING at least three months before the end of your lease.

Send him or her a letter by registered mail stating that you do not intend to renew the lease.

If you do not give notice to the landlord IN WRITING at least three months before the end of your lease that you plan not to renew your lease at the end of the lease period, your lease will be automatically renewed and you will be responsible for the rent for another year.  (this is from Quebec lease laws....couldn't find one for B.C..  I just thought I'd throw it in for consideration.  You may want to find out what is required by YOUR landlord so you're not on the hook for longer than you anticipated.)

Understand your lease term and lease break obligations. Your lease will clearly state start and end dates. Generally this time frame will be 6 to 12 months, but leases of any length are not uncommon. The day your lease ends is the day, that if you give notice, the management company will expect you to leave. You are responsible for the apartment rent for the term of the contract. If, for example, your roommate runs off with her boyfriend and you decide to break your lease 2 months before it expires, you are still responsible for the rent [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #dfffbf"]until the day another renter is accepted and takes possession of the unit[/FONT].  Even then, many companies charge a lease break fee that can be up to 3 months rent,[FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #dfffbf"] in addition to other charges[/FONT].

Michel

This is a B.C. issue ?  I thought a lease was a lease, no matter where you are

I was referring more to the time left to pay, in Ontario just like in Québec, it's three months max for a one year lease, or a month if less than one year lease.

Bah it's Ok, I haven't seen the other place yet, cheaper but further too. If I have time i'll check and if it's preety, I might ask to the lanlord.