High School Musical 2

Started by Sportsdude, Aug 18 07 03:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

What is this movie? It was on Disney channel last night. Apparently 17.8 million people watched it. I don't get it. lol  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lise

I've heard about it.... dunno what it's all about? Is it like Hairspray?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

Apparently its got some tweenybopper heartthrob Zac Efron. My sister was watching it last night, I still don't get the mad rush to watch the tv movie.  The next one is going to be in theatres apparently.

The Friday night premiere of the Disney Channel made-for-television movie "High School Musical 2" has set numerous ratings records and delivered the largest single audience in basic-cable television history, according to preliminary ratings reports provided by Disney.[/p]       In early overnight estimates, the debut of "High School Musical 2," a sequel to the wildly popular 2006 children's television movie about a diverse group of teenagers who learn to channel their inner theater geeks, was watched by 17.2 million viewers nationwide. [/p] If these estimates hold up, it would make "High School Musical 2" the most watched event ever broadcast on basic cable, surpassing the debut of "Monday Night Football" on ESPN, which attracted 16 million viewers on Sept. 23, 2006. [/p] It would also mean that "High School Musical 2" is the most watched movie to be shown on basic cable, toppling the previous record holder, the TNT western "Crossfire Trail," which was seen by 15.5 million viewers when it aired on January 21, 2001. [/p] Among the youth demographics that the Disney Channel values most, "High School Musical 2" was once again a ratings smash: the broadcast is now the most-watched single event among children aged 6 to 11, and it represents the channel's most watched event among tweens aged 9 to 14. [/p] Young viewers had been anticipating the sequel to "High School Musical," which catapulted young stars like Zac Efron and Vanessa Hudgens to stardom and generated an estimated $100 million in sales of DVDs and CD soundtracks for the Walt Disney Co., for more than a year and a half.[/p][a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/18/arts/television/18cnd-disney.html?ref=arts"]http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/18/arts/television/18cnd-disney.html?ref=arts[/a]

Lise

Meh. I don't watch stuff like this. I rather watch a tooth being yanked from a patient.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

haha! I had the same reaction when I turned the show on. Disney channel is just too freaking goofy. The actors are all on sugar highs.  

Lise

Yeah, they probably eat children for breakfast too.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

its just strange. They're trying to brain wash us all I think.  

Lil Me

High School Musical (the first one) was great!  It's similar to Grease.

Haven't seen #2 (no cable).

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

I heard nothing about it.  

I'm glad for the Disney Channel.  I don't watch it, but if I had young kids, I think it would make me feel somewhat comfortable....of course I'm basing my opinion on what Disney used to be.....I don't know what it's like now.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

lol. I grew up on Seasame Street.
Although I learned life lessons by watching the news when I was little. (national) While everybody my age was playing with toys I saw the berlin wall fall, communism collapse, russian coups (i thought that was the coolest/strangest thing ever russian military helicopters shooting missiles at the Russian parliament, waco, and the bosnian war, oklahoma city, tiamenian square). Then I was in the Flood of '93.

i never understood the need for a disney channel. If I got home early enough Jeopardy was on and then Carmen San Diego. Disney never taught me geography and history.  Plus I learned to read by reading the newspaper.

I understand why parents want the channel but its geared towards a 5/6 age level and when you're 10-15 that's not going to help you much to grow.

P.C.

Well, like I said, I don't know what it's like now, but when I was growing up, Disney was synonymous with family values and were relatively free of violence and for the most part there was always a moral to be learned.  By today's standards, probably pretty corny stuff.....but STILL what I would choose for my little ones to watch today.

I would no sooner want my 5 year old watching the news than watching a horror flick.  There needs to be time for children to be children....and the time to have the worlds affairs in your face can wait.

Sportsdude

true. but I learned about mortality. (also learned it on Seasame Street when Mr. Hooper died).

Funny I was more creeped out by Pinnochio and Sleeping Beauty and Snow White then watching people dodge bullets inbetween buildings in Sarajevo. The cartoons gave me the nightmares not the news. lol

I couldn't get through the first 5 minutes in Land before time before I started crying when the mother dies. Or when Bambi's mom dies.

Lise

Disney movies in the past have made teh Lise cry much against her wishes. Blasted movies. It's worst when you're pregnant and have hormones raging all over you. Would you believe I've even cried watching trailers??
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

I wouldn't doubt it. The scariest cartoon ever though was and still is Fern Gully. Holy crap did that give me nightmares for months.

[a href="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104254/"]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0104254/[/a]

Also Follow that Bird the Seasame Street movie. I cried when Big Bird gets evicted from Seasame Street and then kidnapped.
And then the 1976 Seasame Street Christmas movie where Big Bird gets lost in the cold on Christmas Eve, all alone freezing. That made me cry a lot too.

P.C.

Sparking emotions that make you cry are all a part of what teaches us compassion.  I always thought that some of my best values ....caring about animals, understanding why some people are cranky, but still worthy of love.....those kinds of things.....came from the heart behind Disney flicks.  Probably a pretty simplistic view, but it works for me......lol.

I still maintain that a 5 year olds mind is not ready to deal with the issues on the news.  Kids grow up too fast as it is.  Taking on the weight of the world at that age is unhealthy.