Water Bottles

Started by Lise, Aug 15 07 10:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think we should ban water bottles?

Yes
1 (11.1%)
No
2 (22.2%)
Don't Care
0 (0%)
Limit them
6 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Lise

Hi folks. Thanks for all the feedback.

I hear you on the emergency bottles. I have several in our kit. (not to mention several 4 litres) Russ does have a good point too. I would NEVER drink water in 3rd world countries but then again, you can't trust the bottle water source there. I remember just drinking soda pops when I was in Malaysia because I didn't trust bottle water or tap water.

I have another question..... does bottle water ever expire? Is it ok to leave water in bottles for a long period of time?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

I have another question..... does bottle water ever expire? Is it ok to leave water in bottles for a long period of time?

That's a really good question Lise.  We searched high and low for an anwer to this, and came out none the wiser.  Most info just said 'indefinite'....which really isn't that comforting.  Just to be on the safe side we replace the water every couple months, although I'm guessing you'd still be safe for doing it every 6 months.[/DIV]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

P.C.

[TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0] [TBODY] [TR] [TD vAlign=center width=25][/TD] [TD vAlign=center] [H1]Shelf Live of Water[/H1][/TD] [TD colSpan=2][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD vAlign=top] [/TD] [TD class=maincopy vAlign=top width="80%"]
 [TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="97%" border=0] [TBODY] [TR] [TD class=maincopy vAlign=top]
  by Michael Mascha

In general a product's shelf life or safe storage time is affected by a number of variables, including intrinsic parameters, such as pH and moisture content, and extrinsic parameters, such as environmental factors. Understanding these variables is key to maintaining a safe food product.

Bottled Water - indefinitely shelf live  under optimal conditions
The FDA has not established a shelf life for bottled water. In the United States bottled water's shelf life is date stamped for two years. This acts as a SKU number and is mainly for stock rotation purposes. It does not imply that the product is compromised after that date. As long as bottled water is packaged in accordance with FDA processing and good manufacturing practices, 21 CFR, Part 129, and is meeting the FDA quality standard provisions as outlined in 21 CFR, Part 165, the product's shelf life should remain intact for an indefinite period of time.

Properly stored bottled water has indefinitely shelf live. However, long-term storage of bottled water may result in aesthetic defects, such as off-odor and taste. IBWA advises consumers to store bottled water in an unopened container at room temperature (or cooler), out of direct sunlight and away from solvents and chemicals such as gasoline, paint thinners and dry cleaning chemicals.

Bottled water is an excellent choice for emergency water storage. FDA Good Manufacturing Practices mandate that bottled water be produced in a sanitary environment and bottled in sanitary, safety-sealed containers.

Tap Waterrotate every six month under optimal conditions
The recommendations are different for water (tap water) that is filled in containers and  stored for an food and water emergency. FEMA recommendations for water that is self bottled are to store the water in thoroughly washed plastic, glass, fiber glass or enamel-lined metal containers. Plastic containers such as soft drink bottles are considered a good choice. The containers need to be sealed tightly, labeled and stored in a cool dark place. The recommendation is to rotate water every six month.

[/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE]

Michel

Funny fact : The dinosaurs used to piss in the same water that we drink today... yummy !

P.C.

And we all know what fish do in it.  [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/more/bigs/a093.gif" border=0]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH........

[TABLE bgColor=#ffffdd border=1] [TBODY] [TR] [TD align=middle colSpan=2][SMALL]Anti-Spam Bot-Stopper
Please type the text below into this field[/SMALL][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD align=middle] [STYLE type=text/css]    TD.at_r1 (vertical-align:bottom;)    [/STYLE]  [TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0] [TBODY] [TR] [TD][/TD] [TD class=at_r1 rowSpan=2]ma[/TD] [TD][/TD][/TR] [TR] [TD]ene[/TD] [TD]s[/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE][/TD] [TD][INPUT size=10 value=enemas name=sauce][/TD][/TR][/TBODY][/TABLE] [img id=fetchSessionTemp alt="" src="http://discoverseattle.net/forums/Themes/default/images/blank.gif"]

Lise

Hmm. Interesting. Thanks for the feedback, PC. I think I will throw out all our water (we used tap water in our 4 litre containers for washing/whatever purpose) but I'll keep the bottled ones (not open) in the kit, away from sunlight.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

P.C.

I remember reading once that it was a good idea to add a drop or 2 of bleach to stored tap water.  (even if it's purpose is for drinking.)  A drop in a large container is non detectable in taste, but ensures against contamination from unsterile containers.

Russ

I was going to reply to Lise's questions but Miss PC has beat me to it! lol.

YEah.. after time the water could have an off odour and change colour. This is mostly cause of the clear plastic containers they are stored in, not being aereated for odours and because the water has been sterilized so theres no preservatives and minute organics can grow back. Just store it out of sunlight and if its tap water rotate it once in a while.

Just in case you miss doing that, go to an outdoors store and buy some water purification/sterilization tablets. They are like 4 bucks a pill, just buy a bunch and then even if you are unsure you can use em. They work on stagnant water as well if you cant boil it, backpackers use em.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims