Silly People: Dr. Ann De Wees Allen

Started by TehBorken, Sep 20 10 10:55

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

Dr. Ann De Wees Allen claims to have "trademarked" her name and is threatening to sue anyone who uses it without her permission. This makes me think that Dr. Ann De Wees Allen doesn't understand trademark law or the concept fair use. (It's a common misconception that a  trademark registration gives you  some sort of proprietary right over the  mark. People think that it'll  allow them to stop anyone from even  mentioning the mark. This is, of course, not true.)

Her blanket claim that "it is illegal to use the name on any website without prior written permission" is simply false. All kinds of people have tried this in the past (almost always in order  to control negative information from being published about them).   However, the courts have ALWAYS ruled that a person's name is fair use.

In my opinion, people like Dr. Ann De Wees Allen are ruining the internet. So, hats off to you, Dr. Ann De Wees Allen, for serving as a bad example of what trademark is all about.

Note to Dr. Ann De Wees Allen: We suggest you study [a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect"]The Striesand Effect[/a] when you have a moment (i.e. when you aren't suing people for using the name "Dr. Ann De Wees Allen" in a post or news article.

Website for Dr. Ann De Wees Allen where you can find her copyright claim on the name "Dr. Ann De Wees Allen":  http://www.anndeweesallen.com/AboutDrAllen.htm

Just to be clear, DiscoverSeatle.net is not affiliated in any way, shape or form with Dr. Ann De Wees Allen. We wouldn't dream of wanting to be associated with her.
[div class="commentBody"]I guess from now on we'll have to refer to Dr. Ann De Wees Allen as "[span style="font-style: italic; font-weight: bold;"]She Who Cannot Be Named[/span]."[/p][/div]    Also, kind of humorously, the Cease and Desist letter her attorneys send ends with this sentence: "Your anticipated cooperation is anticipated." ORLY??

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.