Racist Quebec town giving Canada an international black eye for bigotry

Started by Sportsdude, Feb 01 07 08:16

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

This is crazy.  What are these idiots doing.  This little town has caused such a storm that the BBC has covered it.  They interviewed a reporter from Montreal and apparently this is another one of those pure-laine communities getting not in my backyard over something that isn't a problem or legal.  Maybe that slip of the toungue after the referendum by Perizeau saying the "ethnic vote lost the referendum" wasn't a slip of the tongue but an actual feeling shared by separatists?  Idiots.

[a href="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6316151.stm"]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/6316151.stm[/a]

[div class="headline"]   No stoning, Canada migrants told
Don't stone women to death, burn them or circumcise them, immigrants wishing to live in the town of Herouxville in Quebec, Canada, have been told.

The rules come in a new town council  declaration on culture that Muslims have branded shocking and insulting.  Quebec is in the midst of a huge debate on integrating immigrant cultures.                             [/div] Montreal police are investigating an officer who wrote a song called That's Enough Already, which says immigrants are undermining Quebec culture.
[/p] 'Not racist'                                                      
Herouxville, which has one immigrant family in its population of about 1,300,  is 160km (100 miles) north-east of Montreal.                           
Its council published the new rules on the town's website.                             [/p][div class="bo"]                        [/p][/div]                                      [div class="ibox"]                                                                                                                                                                           
[tbody]
[td width="5"]                            
[/td][td class="fact"] I was shocked and insulted to see these kinds of false stereotypes and ignorance about Islam and our religion                                                        
[!--Emva--][!--Smva--]                                       Salam Elmenyawi,                            
                            Muslim Council of Montreal                            [!--Emva--]                            [/td][/tr][/tbody][/table]                                                 [/div]           [div class="bo"]                         "We wish to inform these new arrivals that the way of life which they abandoned when they left their countries of origin cannot be recreated here," the declaration reads. [/p] "We consider it completely outside norms to... kill women by stoning them in public, burning them alive, burning them with acid, circumcising them etc."[/p]It points out that women are allowed to drive, vote, dance and own their own homes.                           
The rules ban Sikh children from carrying ceremonial daggers to school, even though the Supreme Court has ruled they can.                           
The man behind the declaration, councillor Andre Drouin, told the National Post newspaper the rules were not racist.                             [/p] "We invite people from all nationalities, all languages, all sexual orientations, whatever, to come live with us, but we want them to know ahead of time how we live," he said.
Mr Drouin said there had been a number of recent incidents of culture clashes that meant the new rules were needed.                             [/p] In one a Toronto judge ordered a Christmas tree removed from a court so as not to offend non-Christians. In another a Montreal gym installed frosted windows after a Hasidic synagogue complained the sight of adults exercising was offensive. [/p]However, the president of the Muslim Council of Montreal, Salam Elmenyawi, condemned the council, saying it had set back race relations decades. [/p][/div][div class="bo"] He told Reuters news agency: "I was shocked and insulted to see these kinds of false stereotypes and ignorance about Islam and our religion." [/p]A poll in a Montreal newspaper this month revealed that 59% of Quebecers admitted to some kind of racist feelings.                             [/p] Montreal police are considering disciplinary action against the 37-year-old officer who wrote the song urging immigrants in Quebec to assimilate. [/p] The song includes the lines: "We want to accept ethnics, but not at any price... if you're not happy with your fate, there's a place called the airport." [/p] Police spokesman Yan Lafreniere said the song did not uphold the values of the Montreal police force and that the officer would be questioned as to his motives.
[/p]

[/p]
[/p]Herouxville has one immigrant family in its 1,300 population

Mr Dourin said most emails were supportive of the new declaration

[/div]  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Gopher

Ignorance really does seem to be one of the most powerful forces in the world - unfortunately, it's also the most prevalent.
A fool's paradise is better than none.

Sportsdude

Yeah I caused a storm of you don't know what you're talking about blah blah blah when I posted the same article up on a Quebec site.  Funny thing is that the ones who had a beef with me were soft separatists or separatists.  They were like you don't understand whats going on? lol.  Sure I do. I've followed the YMCA story in Montreal etc.  I told them if you want to make a law against something thats fine.  But the fact is Shi'ria law was and is illegal in Quebec so why make make a manifesto saying its banned? It already is.  Then to go into detail, well thats race baiting at its simplist form.  That's what caused this little town to get international attention.  They did not have to add the anti-islamic statements in there.  Thats what I called them out on and the international community has done the same.

But then again they interviewed a reporter from Montreal
She said I quote:
"These little towns are not diverse as the big cities, they are all french, and they don't leave the area where they live much, and they are all catholic"

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

M50

Small town BC or Quebec or Alberta is every bit as, or more xenophobic than most US small towns...and if DV is any indication of Vancouver...the regular crew of Race baiters are gunning for Arabs more and more every week....  

Vivek Golikeri

I have been very protective of Muslims since 9-11, bearing in mind the way ethnic Japanese descendants were treated in the day of the internment camps. But I don't see that Herouxville is necessarily racist, just fed up. Mind you, many Quebecois are indeed racist, and I believe racism lurks behind much separatist agenda.

However, that sign was not so much racism as a blunt statement that you can't do certain things there. They weren't saying:"We just don't want you." They were saying:"We won't tolerate backward or demanding ways." A judge ordering a Christmas tree taken down because it might offend non-Christians, Hasidic Jews causing windows to get frosted...these are classic instances of political correctness hijacking democracy.

And so long as that police officer who wrote that song treats racial or religious minorities fairly while doing his job, bear in mind that he too is a Canadian citizen with the right to express his views. And by the way, I am neither white nor Christian.

Schadenfreude

I see no problem with that town if that's what the majority want.  
"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."