B.C. developer sets sights on Downtown Eastside

Started by Sportsdude, Jul 30 07 12:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportsdude

[!-- /dateline --]VANCOUVER — Vancouver's largest developer has quietly assembled a half-block-long chunk of real estate in the heart of the Downtown Eastside.  The Concord Pacific Group's acquisition of a pivotal property at the heart of Canada's poorest urban postal code is a dramatic illustration of the potential gentrification of Vancouver's most rough-and-tumble neighbourhood.[/p]  Concord Pacific has purchased seven lots at the heart of the West Hastings Street block between Abbott and Carrall streets. [/p]  "Right now all we've done is assembled some properties," said Peter Webb, a vice-president at Concord Pacific, which is developing a forest of condo towers on the former Expo 86 lands along False Creek, as well as the 44-acre CityPlace development in downtown Toronto.[/p]                                                                                                                                                                            "We are still in the infancy of early design and development," Mr. Webb said. "We are interested in having a discussion with the city about the opportunity to create non-market or subsidized housing, as part of a commercial and residential development."[/p]  David Eby, a lawyer and housing activist at Pivot Legal Society, warned that unless Concord's plans include a substantial volume of low-income housing, its Hastings Street project could wind up compounding Vancouver's homeless crisis.[/p]  "Concord Pacific has an opportunity here to show they care about people and not just profits," Mr. Eby said.[/p]  The Concord Pacific purchase comes during a period of intense trading of Downtown Eastside real estate. At least 292 properties changed hands there between March, 2005, and March, 2007, according to a compilation of city records. Across Hastings Street from the new Concord parcel is a corner lot owned by another major developer, the Holborn Group. One block west is the Woodward's redevelopment, which includes at 40-storey residential tower. [/p]  "We have no land left downtown, so the city is going to move east," said Bob Rennie, whose sale of all 536 condos at the Woodward's redevelopment in a single day is credited with sparking the Eastside real-estate boom.[/p]
[/p]"Wendy Pedersen, a housing activist at the Carnegie Community Action Project, was less welcoming. She accused Concord of having "whittled away" at social housing commitments related to its False Creek developments.  "Condo towers on Hastings Street would spell the end of the Downtown Eastside as a low-income neighbourhood," Ms. Pedersen said. "I'm concerned that it's become open season on the Downtown Eastside." [/p]  Elvin Wyly chairs the urban studies program at the University of British Columbia. "Just a few years ago, it would have surprised me to learn that a company like Concord Pacific was moving into the Downtown Eastside," Mr. Wyly said. [/p]  "It does not surprise me now. This is a culmination of a long process by which the urban core is becoming a truly elite market.""[/p][a href="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070730.bc-downtown30/BNStory/National/home"]Full Story[/a]
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Sportsdude

I threw a fit when I read this. I remember when Lise was talking about homeless in her neighbourhood. I've seen this time and time again here in the states. When you try to gentrify the poor area of town you just continue to push the poor out. If they keep doing this you'll see a sprawl effect. As the poor continue to be pushed east sprawl will follow rapidly to get away from it. Then before you know it Hope will become a suburb of Vancouver.  

Schadenfreude

Sounds like a good time to buy relatively cheap rural property.
"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

Lise

Yeah, you can't stop progress. Eventually all the homeless folks will be pushed out of the downtown core and right into neighborhoods that are ill-equipped to deal with them. Vancouver doesn't want them and the only way they can do this is by pushing them out. It's not a long-term answer but the politicians do not see that. Sad really but what can one do?
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

They're going the wrong direction anyway. If they were smart they'd follow the skytrain line to build. That way sometime in the future the high rise development in Surrey and eventually New Westminister will meet up with the Vancouver buildings.  Basically you've got to build around Downtown Eastside. Because then you'll have a better chance to fix the problems because it would be concentrated. When people disperse all over the place its harder to fix things.  

Sportsdude

The PHS Community Services society's headquarters is right across the street from this future development.

PHS is

Nonprofit society manages the Portland Hotel, Stanley/New Fountain Hotel, Sunrise Hotel, Washington Hotel, and other buildings that provide social housing and support. Can house people with chronic substance abuse issues or dual diagnosis.

They run the Portland Community Clinic, Portland Hotel, Potluck Cafe Society

[a href="http://www2.vpl.vancouver.bc.ca/DBs/Redbook/orgPgs/4/4199.html"]http://www2.vpl.vancouver.bc.ca/DBs/Redbook/orgPgs/4/4199.html[/a]

M50ish

Sportsdude wrote:
They're going the wrong direction anyway. If they were smart they'd follow the skytrain line to build. That way sometime in the future the high rise development in Surrey and eventually New Westminister will meet up with the Vancouver buildings.  Basically you've got to build around Downtown Eastside. Because then you'll have a better chance to fix the problems because it would be concentrated. When people disperse all over the place its harder to fix things.  
           I agree its crazy not to have the densest populations along the Subway/Skytrain in any developing city which is what we seem to be in tems of our rapid transit, the Expo theme in Vancouver 86. I think we might get it soon with the minimum that a subway goes to the Airport.

Sportsdude

Yup. Just follow the Expo line. Then you'd have quick access to downtown and it would be 'green' too. Sustainable.
Development around the skytrain lines is the way to go. Last time I checked their isn't a line in downtown eastside.
Surrey is getting the idea, from their planning website all the high density building is going near the skytrain lines.

Down here where sprawl is king, they build a highway and then build around the highway. It works the same way with metros. Build next to the metro lines. Common sense building.

purelife

Sportsdude wrote:
Down here where sprawl is king, they build a highway and then build around the highway. It works the same way with metros. Build next to the metro lines. [span style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 128);"]Common sense building.[/span]
[hr style="width: 100%; height: 2px;"]What is common sense building?  Are you talking about them building around highways and here, building around metros?  

This is a bit off topic, but how could you determine that your meaning is of "common" sense?  Common implies that everyone is aware of this situation.  And frankly, I don't think that everyone is aware of this.  Some people who don't understand urban planning may not find this to be common knowledge or common sense.

Sportsdude

What I meant was to build high development projects around and next to metro stations in this case skytrain stations.
The highway scenario is this: Someone builds a big interstate highway, there is an exit. That exit needs something, they put a gas station, then they put a restuarant, motel, and so on. They're building and expanding an area because of the highway.

Works for Metro lines or in this case Skytrain lines too. People will want to live near a station because that means quicker access to downtown to work. And in a green environmental sense if you build a huge complex next to public transportation system, you are then promoting the use of public transportation.

Surrey is doing this. They're building their big projects around the skytrain stations.

purelife

Yep, I agree with what you just said, especially about how people like to live around skytrains and how we're building around the skytrains.  

Sportsdude

that's the goal of skytrain. Now get the govt to add an extra car to the train so their would be 3. And waiting lines would drop dramatically and would also promote more people to take it. When lines are long people get 'cold feet'.  

Hobbit

The one bad thing about skytrain stations is that not only do people like to live near them, the homeless bunch + drug dealers like to stand around stations too. I think NewWestminster station is the worst that I've ever seen in terms of the 'bad' element loitering about.
-Hobbit
Make everyday a day worth living

Sportsdude

easy to fix: cops.
It works in the most dangerous city in the US it will work for Vancouver.