Britain makes it harder for immigrants to enter

Started by Hobbit, Jul 04 07 03:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbit

Britain responded to the foiled terrorist attacks by announcing that [A href="http://www.findnewspapers.com/news/news-11.html"]Britain will do background security checks[/A] on skilled workers enterring the country. I think Canada should implement a similar policy. In fact, take it a step further and do background checks on any Canadian trying to sponsor others into the country. Lets keep Canada safe and peaceful, free of criminal immigrants.

No, I'm not racist or trying to keep people out of Canada. Just feel safer if ALL immigrants had thorough background checks so that criminals couldn't get into the country. I'd be willing to pay more taxes to keep Canada safer.

Lise

They should really do background checks on everyone. The scary part is not knowing who a person is and letting him or her into the country. The bomb scare in England has certainly put a different prespective on what is the profile for a terrorist.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Orca

There is existing background check for immigrants to Canada.

Everyone are required to send in background check result from all countries' (the letter/background check should be from the local authority) she/he ever reside for 6 months or more, and the local authority are sending the result to CIC (Citizenship and Immigration Canada).

The questions to ask are:

- what if the 'boot camps for violent afficionados' are for less than 6mths stretch at a time?

- how to screen the local 'mafia'? as they might 'own' the authorities on their countries? will they ever be organized enough to send one of their own to open 'branch' in other countries?

- what if the local authorities give away spic and span rap-sheet for criminals that they would be happy to get rid of from their own country?      

Vivek Golikeri

I'm afraid I have to agree. As a naturalized American, I recall how the FBI and other agencies thoroughly checked me out before I was given permanent residency status. I had to be tested to see that I did not have AIDS or any contagious disease, no criminal record, etc. They didn't just breeze me in.

I'm very bitter about all the racism I endured in Britain long ago, and would prefer never to visit that country again unless really necessary. But not only were many individual Britons very sweet, but these

security measures are very necessary. A country has not only a right, but a duty to its own people, to ensure that violent elements are kept out.