Vancouver's translink is going to raise fares

Started by Hobbit, Jun 27 07 12:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Lise

I'm not really complaining about the fares. If you've been to places like London and Sydney, the fares there are worst. One month could set you back as much as $55.00 or more depening on how far you live from the core. That was what I had to pay as a student to get to the university and that was with student discount.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Hobbit

Now I read that translink is going to have [A href="http://www.virtualvancouver.com/news/translinkpolicechecks.html"]translink police checks[/A] on buses and skytrain to target non-payers. I still think the best idea is to do what Sydney, London and all other major centres do - put in paid gates at every train entrance. These gates automatically scan your ticket and the turnstyle lets you enter and leave. When your ticket expires it collects your ticket and won't give it back. This requires no human interaction and all you have to pay is the one time cost of setting up all these gates and maybe having ONE transit officer ( hopefully unarmed ) to man the gates in case there's any trouble. I don't know why vancouver doesn't do it when it's trying to uphold an example of a fine Olympic city.  

purelife

Are they enforcing more translink police on transit to check fares?  They already do this but probably not as often as they'd like to.  I notice that they RARELY check fares during peak rush hours in the morning and after work.  

I agree.  The gates would go well.  I've seen them in the UK and thought that it was a great idea.  I've seen people try to climb over top though.  And, there was a wider gate to accomadate parents with large buggies and handicapped people.  

I highly doubt that they would implement this... too too expensive.

Sportsdude

Its always harder to check at peak times.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

Hobbit wrote:
 Now I read that translink is going to have [A href="http://www.virtualvancouver.com/news/translinkpolicechecks.html"]translink police checks[/A] on buses and skytrain to target non-payers. I still think the best idea is to do what Sydney, London and all other major centres do - put in paid gates at every train entrance. These gates automatically scan your ticket and the turnstyle lets you enter and leave. When your ticket expires it collects your ticket and won't give it back. This requires no human interaction and all you have to pay is the one time cost of setting up all these gates and maybe having ONE transit officer ( hopefully unarmed ) to man the gates in case there's any trouble. I don't know why vancouver doesn't do it when it's trying to uphold an example of a fine Olympic city.

I remember a blurb on this and they came up with teh fact its too much money and they would have to raise the money from somewhere cause the government wouldnt front them the money to do this..

The Transit Police are a sworn in section of the police force now that is allowed to make arrests, give out tickets, and go around armed.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

Russ wrote:

[/div]I remember a blurb on this and they came up with teh fact its too much money and they would have to raise the money from somewhere cause the government wouldnt front them the money to do this..  [div]
The Transit Police are a sworn in section of the police force now that is allowed to make arrests, give out tickets, and go around armed.
I never understood the big outcry over transit police with guns on skytrain. A cop without a gun is pretty useless down here. They're on buses, metro, horses, mcdonalds everywhere. So what's the big deal?

Russ

Our cops dont have to shoot people normally.

EDIT: Its not that they carry guns.. its that they are now allowed to physically stop and arrest people without calling 'the cops', issue tickets that people will notice and not use as toilet paper, and they are a commissioned unit.  
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Sportsdude

Russ wrote:
Our cops dont have to shoot people normally.

EDIT: Its not that they carry guns.. its that they are now allowed to physically stop and arrest people without calling 'the cops', issue tickets that people will notice and not use as toilet paper, and they are a commissioned unit.

that's pretty much the norm here, don't know what the big deal is over that. Our malls even have their own jails.

Hobbit

I remember when I was in Florida and I went in to a supermarket. The guards had guns. Kinda seems scary when the local guards at a supermarket need guns. Says a lot about a society. I hope that Canada never ever becomes like that.