Universal threatens to shoot itself in the foot again

Started by TehBorken, Jul 02 07 07:53

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

Universal Music Group (the largest record label in the world) has told Apple that it plans not to renew its contract to sell its music via the iTunes Store. Now personally, I hate iTunes because every penny you spend there screws you in the long term by locking you into Apple products if you want to go on enjoying your music. (That's because the iTunes Store sells mostly DRM-crippled music, tunes that are locked with anti-copying technology.)

But the fact is that iTunes works- people like buying music over the net and there's no question that iTunes makes it easy to do that. Hence, they've become a huge success.

In a twisted (and utterly stupid) attempt to regain some leverage in the music marketplace, Universal is now saying that they won't sell music through iTunes anymore. That's right, they're going to pull their entire music catalog off of iTunes.

Somehow the idiots at Universal think that cutting off one of the few successful outlets for their product is supposed to help them. LOL!

If this is the smartest plan they can come up with, how much longer do you think companies like Universal will continue to thrive in the marketplace? The answer is "not very long". They need to step into the '90s, because with clever marketing decisions like this they're doomed, repeat [span style="font-weight: bold; font-style: italic;"]DOOMED [/span]to failure. And no doubt they'll blame their falling revenues on "piracy". Mark my words.

[a href="http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/02/business/media/02universal.html?ex=1341028800&en=64687402344443f8&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss"]Link To The Stooopidity[/a]

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Lise

Poor judgement on their part. iPod music is the way to go. Nobody shops anywhere else.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

i love itunes. I've found so many artists I wouldn't have found on the radio in that store. Any band and now music group that isn't on itunes is a bad business plan.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Russ

I have to agree with you TB. I HATE itunes.. but its a neccessary evil for an iPod.. I still um.. yeah you know what I mena.. but I do need to use iTunes to copy music and organize my iPod.

First thing I thought of when I heard universal was doing that was the same thing.. idiots, the one thing thats making you money and you are refusing to do it? I hate to point this out to them, but if people want the music they are still going to get it.. just by downloading it <gasp> illegaly and then they dont get ANY money at all.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims