New - Child Care Amount - Federal Gov't

Started by purelife, Jun 28 07 11:39

Previous topic - Next topic

canadian1

And millions and millions of people around the world like to crictize americans on how they vote so to say I can't read up on issues in Canada seems a bit hypocritical. You can tell me how I should vote to run my country but I can't tell you anything? That doesn't make sense.

You can tell us anything you'd like but don't act like you know EVERYTHING about Canadian politics and be so "matter of fact" when you don't live here.  Sure, you can give suggestions and ideas, that's great, but to think that you know it better is just ridiculous.  You haven't experienced first-hand what the Canadian government is all about.  You only read it.  It's never the same.

P.C.

I think the 'beer and popcorn' comment had less to do with whether it was an adequate amount for child care.....I believe it was stated that people would 'blow' any money given them for childcare on beer and popcorn.  
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Sportsdude

canadian1 wrote:
[em]And millions and millions of people around the world like to crictize americans on how they vote so to say I can't read up on issues in Canada seems a bit hypocritical. You can tell me how I should vote to run my country but I can't tell you anything? That doesn't make sense.[/em]

You can tell us anything you'd like but don't act like you know EVERYTHING about Canadian politics and be so "matter of fact" when you don't live here.  Sure, you can give suggestions and ideas, that's great, but to think that you know it better is just ridiculous.  You haven't experienced first-hand what the Canadian government is all about.  You only read it.  It's never the same.[/p]  [/p]If I act like I know everything I'm sorry, because I really don't. I don't understand the have and have not provinces and equalization. I don't know a lot of things because I never took a canadian civics class. So if I come off that way I don't mean to.  Then again apparently Canadians don't know either:
[a href="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070629.wxdominion29/BNStory/National/home"]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070629.wxdominion29/BNStory/National/home[/a]

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

purelife

Then again apparently Canadians don't know either:

Yep, that's me.  I really don't know anything when it comes to politics.  

Sportsdude

well aparently the knowledge of canada has more to do with history then just politics. Apparently 60% of Canadians non immigrant couldn't give the right answer to "What did the Hudson Bay Company do?" answer: traded fur

Greatest moment in class for me were the folks in geography. One girl didn't know Mississippi was a state. I lol'd.

P.C.

If that was how the question was stated, it doesn't surprise me that 60% of Canadians answered incorrectly.  The Hudson Bay Company doesn't 'do' fur trading.  Fur trading is what gave it it's start.  You can rest assured the Hudson Bay Company doesn't 'do' fur trading any more.

Devil

To me, there is good and bad in every political party. More bad than good in them all.

Either party in power isn't helping young couple very well by getting started on their lives.

How are young couples supposed to buy a place nowadays to settle down and start a family? It sucks royal oil!!

I vote for P.C.'s cat!

Devil

Sportsdude wrote:
The fact that the child care plan by the conservatives was ridiculed by the child care organizations for not being adaquate in spending speaks for itself. The plan doesn't work hence the liberals came up with the beer and popcorn moniker because the money was never enough to actually pay for childcare itself.  
  ok, I am trying to see this in a different light. Our media here in Canada is very left. I know the Liberal government blasts Harpoon for this $100/month, plus a bit of a tax savings. But from my experience in being a dad, if the Conservatives refunded me 1 penny in children care savings, it is 100% more than what the Liberals did for us.

Just my thoughts. I hate Harper, and I hated Creeptian too...you can't win! just got to keep on livin'!

P.C.

I'll pass on your vote to 'His Highness', Devil. (and I'm sure for a small quantity of catnip, there would be some considerable 'favours' and kickbacks he would feel quite happy to fulfill.)

Either party in power isn't helping young couple very well by getting started on their lives.

How are young couples supposed to buy a place nowadays to settle down and start a family? It sucks royal oil!!

I agree with that to a certain extent Devil.....but you know, the thing is.....young people are so much more aware of finances and such now, more than ever.  What I mean is, when I was growing up, there was no such thing as your buddies having credit cards...it just wasn't part of our world to go to school with kids who charged things.  

I also think it was once a 'right of passage' earned the hard way to become a property owner.  Everybody in my 'class' spent several years in apartments, scrimping and saving for a downpayment on a home.  Now....it seems that a lot of young people feel it's due to them.... to be able to afford a home when it suits them to do so.  Typical 'starting at the top' mentality.....no paying of the dues......no working your way up.

Devil

Oh I agree. I am (almost 30)...umm...soon...

and I guess a lot has changed between now and then.

I guess what made me bring this up is a young guy we hired, best guy we hired in a long time, is moving to Manitoba because that is a good place for him to buy a home and have kids. He doesn't want to raise a family in a 1 bedroom apartment.

What else makes me cringe!? Banks will give people 40 year mortgages?! You could buy a house 3 times by the time you are done.

P.C.

Don't get me wrong.....I feel bad for the seemingly hopelessness of it all for young people now.  But if you put it into perspective, I don't think it's hugely different now. (wages vs cost of living)

I think the biggest change is the vast wasteland of things to spend one's money on now, that have come to be considered as necessities.  THAT to me is the biggest difference.  People don't seem to have the discipline to decipher need from want.  ( I KNOW I'm speaking in general terms....but only for the sake of the point)

Sportsdude

"Now....it seems that a lot of young people feel it's due to them.... to be able to afford a home when it suits them to do so.  Typical 'starting at the top' mentality.....no paying of the dues......no working your way up."

That's my generation which isn't even Devil's (Gen X). We are the "Me" generation. A lot of it is because our parents (baby boomers) want us (the me's) to have and experience everything growing up that they (baby boomers) didn't get to. So we've become we've (me's) have been accustom to getting everything we've ever wanted a.k.a (spoiled). So we not only expect to have certain things handed to us, we think its our birth right.

P.C.

I think there's a lot of truth to that SD.  Which isn't to say that there aren't a lot of young people out there that never lost perspective that hard work and doing without was the path to their goals.  THEY are the ones I'd like to see get a few breaks along the way.

Sportsdude

yup. If your a suburb kid that's ones outlook and its been proven in studies. My generation wants all these benefits and breaks because they've never learned "no" or never had to deal with adversary in grade school. Its like top of class through grade school syndrome. They've had it easy to the point that they've never hit the 'wall' before, then when they do they don't know how to deal with it. These are the kids that their parents will probably still be buying things for them into their mid 20's and 30's. Plus there parents don't know how to say no.

Russ

If I act like I know everything I'm sorry, because I really don't. I don't understand the have and have not provinces and equalization. I don't know a lot of things because I never took a canadian civics class. So if I come off that way I don't mean to.  Then again apparently Canadians don't know either:
[A href="http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070629.wxdominion29/BNStory/National/home"]http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070629.wxdominion29/BNStory/National/home[/A]

I wouldnt worry about this one SD. I dont think anyone, the provinces included have any idea how the government is pulling the numbers for this one either. I still think that its out of the sky.. whichever way the political winds are blowing it seems.    
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims