Discover Vancouver Get Together 2007

Started by DV staff, Jun 08 07 12:56

Previous topic - Next topic

stretchedout

Thanks P.C.!  $40 million, wow!  But ya know I don't like the odds of winning a raffle at a church bazaar!  And those are odds of 1 in a few hundred and I have won such.  Lotto 6/49 is a waste of time but you can't win if you don't play:

There are a total of [FONT style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffff00"]13,983,816[/FONT] different groups of six numbers which could be drawn from the set (1, 2, ... , 49). To see this we observe that there are 49 possibilities for the first number drawn, following which there are 48 possibilities for the second number, 47 for the third, 46 for the fourth, 45 for the fifth, and 44 for the sixth. If we multiply the numbers 49 x 48 x 47 x 46 x 45 x 44 we get 10,068,347,520. However, each possible group of six numbers (combination) can be drawn in different ways depending on which number in the group was drawn first, which was drawn second, and so on. There are 6 choices for the first, 5 for the second, 4 for the third, 3 for the fourth, 2 for the fifth, and 1 for the sixth. Multiply these numbers out to arrive at 6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 720. We then need to divide 10,068,347,520 by 720 to arrive at the figure 13,983,816 as the number of different groups of six numbers (different picks). Since all numbers are assumed to be equally likely and since the probability of some number being drawn must be one, it follows that each pick of six numbers has a probability of 1/13,983,816 = 0.00000007151. This is roughly the same probability as obtaining 24 heads in succession when flipping a fair coin!  
C'mon, the city is sleeping!

WS

P.C. wrote:
Aaaaa.......it's only money.  You'll just end up with more expensive things.......that'll still need to be fixed......lol

True...  but I'd rather work on my own hobbies, as opposed to working for my unbelievably cheap boss, who's rich, btw!

Nothing gold can stay.

P.C.

crap.....forgot to put in my bot-stopper and lost my message.

On that note, I shall sleep. [img style="CURSOR: pointer" onclick=url(this.src); src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/a010.gif" border=0]
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

stretchedout

C'mon, the city is sleeping!

WS

P.C. wrote:
crap.....forgot to put in my bot-stopper and lost my message.

On that note, I shall sleep. [img style="cursor: pointer;" onclick="url(this.src);" src="http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/a010.gif[/img]

Goodnight, P.C.  Rest well.

Nothing gold can stay.

weird al

stretchedout wrote:
 However, I did beat coffee over five years ago.  I was drinking several cups per day and going through a bottle of tums per week.  It had to end, and haven't looked back once.  Besides, I can no longer support the practice of using fertile farm land for growing such an anti-nutrient!

Stretch, I have to agree with you that it's a non-nutrient, but I'd heard that it was supposed to be a good source of anti-oxidants, so I did some checking, and found some good news about the stuff (until the next study of course) :

[A href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9105892/"]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9105892/[/A]

[P class=textBodyBlack][SPAN id=byLine][/SPAN]"Coffee ...provides more healthful antioxidants than any other food or beverage in the American diet, according to a study released Sunday."

[P class=textBodyBlack]

[P class=textBodyBlack]"the average adult consumes 1,299 milligrams of antioxidants daily from coffee. The closest competitor was tea at 294 milligrams. Rounding out the top five sources were bananas, 76 milligrams; dry beans, 72 milligrams; and corn, 48 milligrams."

[P class=textBodyBlack]

[P class=textBodyBlack][SPAN id=byLine][/SPAN]"In February, a team of Japanese researchers reported in the Journal of the [A class=iAs style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 100%; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; COLOR: darkgreen; BORDER-BOTTOM: darkgreen 0.07em solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; TEXT-DECORATION: underline" href="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9105892/#" target=_blank itxtdid="3978470"]National Cancer Institute[/A] that people who drank coffee daily, or nearly every day, had half the liver cancer risk of those who never drank it. The protective effect occurred in people who drank one to two cups a day and increased at three to four cups."

[P class=textBodyBlack]"Last year, researchers at the Harvard School of Public Health found that drinking coffee cut the risk of developing the most common form of diabetes."

[P class=textBodyBlack]Sounds great, right? However, the drop in cancer and diabetes could be at least partly attributed to the likelihood that many coffee lovers will die in road-rage incidents or from high blood pressure before they have enough time to develop these diseases.

[P class=textBodyBlack]Scary thought , that. But I like to keep my blood pressure (and my road rage) down with liberal doses of cannabis, another great healer  ;-)

[P class=textBodyBlack]The studies quoted above were funded by Starbucks and NORML

[P class=textBodyBlack](Naw, I keed, I keed)

[P class=textBodyBlack]

[P class=textBodyBlack]

[P class=textBodyBlack]

P.C.

That's good news weird al.  I wonder what will be good or bad for us next week.....lol

I don't worry about coffee consumption.  I've never had more than 2 cups a day since I started drinking coffee.  Usually only one.....I pour a second, but usually end up giving it to the drain.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

kitten

I never drink more than one 12-cup pot of coffee a day, so diabetes is not high on my list of worries.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Orik

it is a shame this entire party or dv get together is a fake. it could have been rather fun if it was real...

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

WS

It would be fun, Orik.  Even more so if the establishment is licenced!  What's crackin', btw?  
Nothing gold can stay.

Orik

not much im still banned on dv... and hide my ip is failing to find me a proxy... so i am currently unable to post on dv as par normal of late...

Never give up Never surrender Fight with ur last breath Fight 2 live & Fight 2 survive. Never say never & never say die. There comes a time when all will die A time we transcend & attain our place afterlife. My Fight is not yet done, I'm tired & I'd like to go home, But I'm not ready to go just yet.

purelife

Heya Orik!

Yeah, it would've been nice to meet some people from DV.  There are just a few that I would like to meet and of course, see you again. ;)  If I EVER saw Mikey, I would give him a piece of me.  GRRRRR

Orik

OMG Purelife (hugz)

Mike and Steve I would like to give them both a piece of me too . mainly my foot....

but we both know thats not gonna happen...

i would love to see you again too. are you sure your finance wont mind... it is good to see you out and about...

have you seen what some of those meanies on dv are saying about me in my abcence... ... sighs... so much hate from so many...

i gota reform my image it would seem not many on dv like me anymore...

WS

I'm done with DV, Orik...  I'd posted my 'last post' brief farewell yesterday...  It's too bad, though, 'cause aside from that one 'individual' not respecting my privacy issues after giving me his word, I had an entertaining time there.  Oh well, it seems to be going downhill there anyhow...  
Nothing gold can stay.

Orik

sadly that is true... but it is the sewer this rat bastrad needs to have fun... i could never get away with the antics i pull on dv here... i also respect the people here far to much to ever troll upon them.... like i do the peoples of dv...

|