Anti-Bot Measures

Started by TehBorken, May 27 07 07:41

Previous topic - Next topic

TehBorken

Sportsdude wrote:
Hmmm, This will really slow down the conversations, I think.

I'm trying to make this as easy as possible, so please bear with me. Instead of random letters and numbers the form now gives you a simple word to enter, in all lower-case.

Seriously, SD, if this is really such an impediment for you, tell me and I'll step back and let the spammers rape the forum to death. I'm doing this to try and keep this place from being trashed on a daily basis. Believe me, there are lots of things I'd have rather done than spend the last 12 hours or so coding this stuff up. I hate having to do this shit more than you can imagine. If you'd rather the forum be overwhelmed by spam posts for penis pills and crap like that, let me know. It'd be a lot easier for me to let it happen than to try and prevent it.

I'm also looking at trying create a moderation system that lets people click a "This Is Spam" button; after a certain number of "votes" the post would be cleared, but frankly that's a hell of a lot of work to design, code, test, and install. If you want to code it up for me in your spare time, I'd appreciate it.

The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Sportsdude

I don't have a problem with it at all

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

TehBorken

Sportsdude wrote:
I don't have a problem with it at all

My apologies if I sound cranky. The truth is, I am cranky. I hate spending my time trying  to keep one step ahead of the scumbags who just want to fill this forum with their useless spam and marketing crap. I had stuff to do today, and none of it got done because I was working on this thing. It's not how I wanted to spend my Sunday.    
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.

Sportsdude

I know exactly how your feeling. Your a life saver, especially on Memorial Day weekend.  

kitten

I'm sorry if I sounded negative, TB.  I can't begin to imagine the crap you have to wade through to keep this site going.  Thank you for all your hard work on our behalf, and thank you for making it easier to post.  I do appreciate what you have done in setting up this friendly forum.
Thousands of years ago cats were worshipped.  They have not forgotten.

Sportsdude

Sportsdude

thanks for changing the codes to words. :)  

GORDY GAMBINO a1

Spammers shit me. I agree with Teh Borks stance on this one.

One dickhead on either this site or Discover crap was selling ROLLEX watches. Yeah right. ROLLEX

What a fu.cken moron!

Sportsdude

must have been the watch of Lex Luthor.  

kitten

The lower case makes it a lot easier and faster to type it in before posting.  Thank you for changing it.  I struggle with the Canadian postal codes with the upper and lower cases.  My fingers try to tie into knots with the constant shifting.

Sportsdude

gosh writing in postal codes compared to zip codes is like reading Russian for me. Especially my future postal code will have 5's and S's in it. lol I'm always fretting if I contrasted my S to the 5 enough.  

kitten

I know what you mean.  Thats why I got address stickers for my mail.  I still have to print the code where I'm sending the mail, but I don't have to keep writing mine.  For a few bucks it was worth it.

Sportsdude

Him I should do that because the postal code goes S5S or something, that's just going to give me fits.  

kitten

Oh, that's going to be fun!  When this anit-bot security thing started it felt like I was typing several unknown postal codes.  It wasn't easy for me, because when I'm in a hurry I tend to transpose letters and numbers.  I've ruined quite a few envelopes by transposing the sequence of letters and numbers.  It's a pity when it comes to birthday cards because you can't get the right envelope without buying another card of the same size.

Sportsdude

yeah reeeeeal fun. lol the 5S5 is going to give me headaches for the next 4 years.

|