The Letter came today...

Started by Sportsdude, May 07 07 04:06

Previous topic - Next topic

wouldn'tyouknow

Sportsdude wrote:
Alright did the online residence thing, so all that I have to do now is money order of 20 bucks. lol

Wow, only 20 dollars to apply for housing?  At UBC it is 50.

Well, good luck with everything.  Always good to read about someone venturing into higher education whether college or university and whatever age they are (did you hear about the [A href="http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wn_report/2007/04/29/2007-04-29_talk_about_old_school_.html"]95 year old woman getting her BA in History[/A] this month?).  

No time to login

Hopefully after all the hype sports has in his head about Canada, its not too much of a letdown when he gets to the Island. He's got the country on a pedastal, whereas most Canadians would rather be somewheres else most days.

What about Rio? So many beaches and nitelife!

Schadenfreude

No time to login wrote:
Hopefully after all the hype sports has in his head about Canada, its not too much of a letdown when he gets to the Island. He's got the country on a pedastal, whereas most Canadians would rather be somewheres else most days.

What about Rio? So many beaches and nitelife![/DIV]
 Just because you are unhappy with your life and want to run away, it does not mean "most Canadians".
"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

Lil Me

If Canada doesn't meet SD's expectations, there's always Bosnia.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

I'm one of the 'non-most'.....lol.  I'm happy where I am.
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Too lazy to login

ok, true, I shouldn't say 'all' Canadians.

It is just me, the USA is looking pretty sweet these days.

I am finding Canada is amazing, for its natural beauty only.

There is no identity in Canada, the only thing that unites Canadians is that we say we are "not Americans". But we have no culture/identity to call our own. That and that taxes are strangling. The opportunities are limited for professionals.

I wouldn't want to live in St. Louis either mind you, but live somewhere nice, like Northern California.  

The Brain Drain is a reality, and there is a legitimate reason Canada's best and brightest move to the USA.

Anyways, I was out of line for saying 'all Canadians' want to be somewhere else.  My apologies.

Canada is beautiful, but maybe the grass is greener elsewhere?

Schadenfreude

Have you lived on the prairies? Have you lived in a town with a population less than 1 million?

I have. The sense of community is much greater in smaller centers. If you're basing Canada on Vancouver life, you're missing a lot.[/DIV]
"I used to rock and roll all night and party every day, then it was every other day.  Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky."

tenkani

[FONT color=#ffffff size=1].[/FONT]
For thou art with me; thy cream and thy sugar they comfort me
Thou preparest a carafe before me in the presence of Juan Valdez
Thou anointest my day with pep; my mug runneth over
Surely richness and taste shall follow me all the days of my life
And I will dwell in the house of coffee forever.

P.C.

There is no identity in Canada, the only thing that unites Canadians is that we say we are "not Americans". But we have no culture/identity to call our own.

Well, I think about this often.  I've said it before, I have no sense of patriotism and have alway held some kind of admiration for that of the US of A.

Having said that though, it's got nothing to do with 'distaste' for Canada....I just don't know what patriotism means or feels like.  

As far as culture and identity, I think that's all smoke and mirrors, and means very little.  I think it's some kind of excuse for not working toward having our own personal identities over a possible illusion of having an identity based on what a majority thinks our identity is. (I don't know this to be true....I don't even know if it makes sense....it's just what I feel).  

I think what 'unites' people is simple old fashioned kindness....not that we all wave the same flag. (which is a bit contradictory of my admiration for the US's 'patriotism')  

Schadenfreude

Go to or watch a Canucks game and when Mark Donnelly lowers the mic after the first verse of the anthem and the crowd starts singing.

You don't get goose bumps?  

P.C.

Go to or watch a Canucks game and when Mark Donnelly lowers the mic after the first verse of the anthem and the crowd starts singing.

You don't get goose bumps?

I don't know who the H-E-double-hockey-sticks Mark Donnelly is.

More often than not, I see the players fidgeting and gobbing on the ice while the anthem is being sung.......so no.....I can't say I've experienced a warm fuzzy during the anthem at a hockey game.  I get goose bumps when I hear Charlotte Church sing, and I don't even like opera.  It's hard to know what I'm looking for as far as a 'patriotic feeling' goes, because so many 'displays' of patriotism are just that.....displays.

Lise

Hi SD.

That's good news. We bypass Malaspina College during our time in Vancouver Island. I love the island folks. Very friendly. Good luck and congrats again.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Sportsdude

"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

|