Stupid Question

Started by P.C., Apr 23 07 09:53

Previous topic - Next topic

P.C.

Is a person obligated to 'cover' or re-write a stale dated cheque?
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

pitbullca.bc

I have heard that yes...something like up to a year.  Not wrewrite..but to make sure that the money stays...
How stale are we talking about?

Sportsdude

what's a stale cheque? Didn't know they were edible.  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

Lil Me

Yes, if the original contract specifies payment.  If you promised someone $50 and they never cashed the cheque, you are obligated to issue another one.  
"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

Almost a year.  It's a Rev-Can cheque.....does that make a difference?  

Lil Me

No.  They need to re-issue the cheque.

I had an "ooops" last year when I went through the filing cabinet and found a stale-dated stock dividend cheque (about $800) which was stale-dated and issued about 10 years ago.  I called the company and sheepishly asked them to send another cheque, and they did.

"In the absence of clearly-defined goals, we become strangely loyal to performing daily trivia until ultimately we become enslaved by it."  Robert Heinlein

P.C.

Yea.....this is a pretty big oopsie too.....lol.

So I wonder what the point is in even having a stale date time frame. (not that I'm complaining you understand)

Lil Me

Oh, just a minute.  Government of Canada cheques NEVER expire
 [a href="http://www.fcac-acfc.gc.ca/eng/consumers/BankInsurance/Cheques/ChequesInfo_4_e.asp"]http://www.fcac-acfc.gc.ca/eng/consumers/BankInsurance/Cheques/ChequesInfo_4_e.asp[/a]

P.C.

COOL !!!!  Excellent !  Thanks Lil Me.....that's just what I wanted to hear.  (we'll put that towards our new roof)

Lil Me

Nonsense.  You're keeping the cheque and Sawdust is springing for the roof!!!!!  

P.C.

LOL !!

Well, I WAS the one who FOUND it whilst labouring over the 'clean sweep'.

Lil Me

Finders Keepers.  

Russ

I washed a rebate or whatever it was check a number of months ago.. and Im STILL fighting to get one reissued.  
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

Lil Me

Tell them the goat ate it.  

Sportsdude

they'll probably baaaah back  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."