Assisted Living, and Retirement Alert!

Started by Krista FNP, Feb 24 07 08:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Krista FNP

[font face="Comic Sans MS" size="4"]To Whom it may concern: (It should  concern everyone.) The best kept secret in Spokane, Wa. For Assisted Living, and  Retirement is "The Cooper George". (Owned by Emeritus Assisted Living Corp. Of  Seattle.) Fine, old, thirteen story high-rise on Spokane's lower South Hill.  Close to Hospitals, Doctors, Buses, Downtown shopping, and Parks. Spacious  apartments with great views. Unfortunately all these qualities DO NOT compensate  for extremely poor management. (Warehouse mentality.) Staff is under paid, under  trained, uncaring, surly, and indifferent to needs of Residents. Shifts are  under staffed. (Cost effective.) (Highest Employee turnover in Spokane County.)  Food is appalling. Three meals per day of tasteless, ill prepared starch, filler  and grease. (But the menu looks delicious!) (Staff snacks on the best,  especially after hours). Food is used by some Employee's as discipline with  Residents. ("Don't complain and we may give you more, and better".) For fear of  subtle reprisals, Residents say nothing to outside sources. They just move out.  (Those who are able.) Medications are controlled and dispensed by untrained  Aides. (Aides train Aides.) Many mistakes are made, but promptly corrected on  paper. Theft and street drug use is more rampant than their incompetence.  Building maintenance is shoddy, and unprofessional. Heat when needed is sporadic  at best. (Consistently too hot or too cold.) Hallways are ill kept, and unclean.  Trash rooms are filthy. Elevators are inadequate for heavy use of scooters,  powerchairs, walkers, wheelchairs, Housekeeping carts, Maintenance equipment,  Medication carts, and foot traffic. How Management remains under state radar is  beyond belief. A haunting question persists in one's mind after seeing this  building. In a emergency, (As in a fire.) if the elevators are shut down; how do  some of the Residents on the upper floors in walkers, and wheelchairs get down?  All are supposed to be ambulatory enough to walk down many flights of stairs.  But are they? In response to fewer new placements, Owners have added fresh  paint, expensive, new outdoor sign, new floor covering, plants, lots of  artificial flowers, new furniture, and a lovely water display in Lobby. Funds  better used for decent food, and more qualified personnel. These People are  prolific prevaricators. Beware of their facade!
[/font]  

Sportsdude

who would want to live in Spokane?  
"We can't stop here. This is bat country."

P.C.

I'm wondering if that letter be more effective if it were directed to someone who could actually DO something about it?

Can I ask how you know all of these things?
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Russ

Well, I guess cause this is a seattle website, it could be a good place to post it.. if there was a number of seattle people here.
Mercy to the Guilty is Torture to the Victims

P.C.

I understand that this IS a Seattle forum, but I was more curious as to whether these were valid accusations or the opinions of a disgruntled employee. Not that I find it hard to believe that these kinds of things DO go on, but if I were aware that something like this was going on, I would have sent this letter to the proper authorities and the media.      
Sir Isaac Newton invented the swinging door....for the convenience of his cat.

Lise

I agree. Krista, you should file the letter to the proper authorities or the media.
Always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry.
Bill Cosby.

Krista FNP

P.C. wrote:
I understand that this IS a Seattle forum, but I was more curious as to whether these were valid accusations or the opinions of a disgruntled employee. Not that I find it hard to believe that these kinds of things DO go on, but if I were aware that something like this was going on, I would have sent this letter to the proper authorities and the media.  

Krista FNP

P.C. wrote:

I listed this in a Seattle forum because the owner of the Cooper George (Emeritus Corp.) is a Seattle based company. As for the so called "Proper" authorities (DSHS) they are quite biased on the matter. They have been notified many times by scores of different sources over the past 9 years. Only changes made are superficial. I am not a former employee. However, I am a hostile activate for rights of the Elderly, and Disabled.